Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

last 2 PBBs already packed by someone when i was there to collect my cert just now.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondpeh View Post
Hi bro tokyogasmask, mind showing a pic of this piece you are talking about?
Sure.
These pics are a few months old. Said fish is almost double size now.

Here is a top down pic of it from a few days ago at about 14":

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
ZhenXiang
Dragon

Another quality specimen u have there bro, the contrast is really nice.

I don't dare to take the plunge into keeping pbb, because i cannot really differentiate a pbb from a lapradei other than counting the dorsal finlet
ZhenXiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhenXiang View Post

I don't dare to take the plunge into keeping pbb, because i cannot really differentiate a pbb from a lapradei other than counting the dorsal finlet
Can be tricky.
In person they do seem very different.
The main differences is in the head and jaw shape.

Also they grow real quick. I mean seriously fast.

If you get a good vendor, they will be certificated. Mine are certificated from Kamihata.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhenXiang View Post

thats why i was staring at the PBBs really hard when i was looking at them last night. i was told even 16 finlets is not the best bet as there r also lapradeis with 16 finlets thou its quite a rare case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyogasmask View Post
Can be tricky.

If you get a good vendor, they will be certificated. Mine are certificated from Kamihata.
how about the pale patch on the sides of a chad's "cheeks"? i was told that is the 1 of the difference between a lapradei and a PBB.

any pics of your chad for us to take a look?

hope i dont have too high hopes on my chad. definitely i wont be expecting it to turn out with such nice colors compared to your turkana but im expecting some decent green to appear from my chad.

just wondering since someone was asking me about turkana. it was not stated as an origin of PBBs:

extracted from http://www.polypterus.info/p_bichir.htm:
Origin: Nile River, Lake Rudolf and Omo River, Lake Chad, Chari and Logone Rivers.

so is it a recent discovery?

lastly, any detailed info on how to differentiate PBBs and lapradeis?

hope im not asking for too much. just want to learn more about my dream bichir after i finally manage to get hold of 1.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #26
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
how about the pale patch on the sides of a chad's "cheeks"? i was told that is the 1 of the difference between a lapradei and a PBB.

hope i dont have too high hopes on my chad. definitely i wont be expecting it to turn out with such nice colors compared to your turkana but im expecting some decent green to appear from my chad.

just wondering since someone was asking me about turkana. it was not stated as an origin of PBBs:

Origin: Nile River, Lake Rudolf and Omo River, Lake Chad, Chari and Logone Rivers.

hope im not asking for too much. just want to learn more about my dream bichir after i finally manage to get hold of 1.
I suppose you heard from Angus that one of PBB's traits is the pale patch on its cheeks, since he told me the same thing. After going through some old PBB pics, I realised that this trait is indeed true, but it can only be observed in juvenile PBBs. When they reach maturity, their whole cheek turns into something like a "sun", with lines spreading from the middle point. Also, I'm still convinced that only PBBs has the white "7" on their cheeks. Perhaps those lapradeis with the white "7" has PBB bloodline in them. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #27
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyogasmask View Post
Can be tricky.

Wow.. another masterpiece of yours bro.. really nice pbb there..
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #28
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
thats why i was staring at the PBBs really hard when i was looking at them last night. i was told even 16 finlets is not the best bet as there r also lapradeis with 16 finlets thou its quite a rare case.

No problems mate.

Yes, PBB do seem to have the pale cheek patches.

Here is my Chad:

The main way is finlets plus head shape.
Laps tend to have a more wedge shape head, and jaw lines differ.
There are probably more scientific ways such as lateral line etc.

But the best is to know your source, and a good dealer.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #29
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
I suppose you heard from Angus that one of PBB's traits is the pale patch on its cheeks, since he told me the same thing. After going through some old PBB pics, I realised that this trait is indeed true, but it can only be observed in juvenile PBBs. When they reach maturity, their whole cheek turns into something like a "sun", with lines spreading from the middle point. Also, I'm still convinced that only PBBs has the white "7" on their cheeks. Perhaps those lapradeis with the white "7" has PBB bloodline in them. Just my 2 cents worth
The "sun" I was referring to in a matured PBB(pic1), and the white patch in a juvenile PBB(pic 2). Notice that the white "7" exists in both PBB specimens:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061212_2320581.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	275026   Click image for larger version

Name:	polypterus%20bichir%20bichir07_9-01breed.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	275027  
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

saw that white "7" on mine too.

am i right to say that lapradeis have a shorter skull? i.e. from the tip of the mouth to the back of the head. the jaw line of a lapradei have a more prominent curve compared to a PBB?

shots of my PBB's marking as of tonight:

Last edited by Schmike; 02-02-2011 at 12:40 AM.