Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 20-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafantastic View Post
Looks active from the video.
Last time if i remember correctly, one of fish shop(forgot the name) selling bigger hermit crabs but all motionless...maybe small thats why so active
Actually they are pretty active during evening onwards. perhaps the bigger ones u mentioned are too stress at the fish shop thats why its not moving at all. i read that the more you keep together, the more active they are.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #32
chark

Default Hermit crab for adoption (FOC!)

Hi everyone,

I caught a hermit crab during one of my diving trips overseas and have kept it as a pet for 2 months now. Would like to put it up for adoption as I only have 1 hermit crab (needs a companion). It's most likely a male hermit crab (estimating from its physical features). Please pm me if you are interested. Will only allow you to adopt if you have experience handling hermit crabs, thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #33
crabster

To be certain of its sex , look at the under side .....The female land hermit crab has tiny genital openings called gonopores. The gonopores are located on the first segment of the back pair of walking legs. They are close in to the body, near the joint of the cephalothorax and abdomen.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
darter
Arofanatic

Good thread evo!

Should be next on my list to keep.
darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #35
Aash

Hopping down to c328 tomorrow.
How often do we need to change the bedding?
Est size of tank I need to house 2 pcs?
Most imp how much will a hermit crab set me back?

Tnx
Old 20-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #36
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darter View Post
Good thread evo!

Should be next on my list to keep.
thanks bro! i heard c328 just came in a batch of mid - big size hermits. no signs of tiny one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash View Post
Hopping down to c328 tomorrow.
How often do we need to change the bedding?
Est size of tank I need to house 2 pcs?
Most imp how much will a hermit crab set me back?

Tnx
If ur using SUDO bottom sand or those very fine sand, probably will only need to change once per 6 months or 1 year.
i would suggest at least a 1.5x1ft tank for 2 - 3 mid size ones..
pretty cheap actually.. you just need a tank, lighting, sand, driftwoods, water dishes, climbing toys and the hermits itself...

Anyway, i just upgraded my crabitat to a L size guppy tank... 35x20x30cm if im not wrong. comes with 2nd level for more climbing and the crabs are loving it.. they all went down on yet another molt 1 week ago and recently just resurfaced.. grown bigger already! will be posting pictures tonight.
Old 20-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #37
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Here comes the update!

Left side show a tub i transferred the hermits to yesterday, found the translucent tub pretty ugly and not tall enough for a 2nd layer, went out to get a L size guppy tank instead.

6 hermits temporary housed in the small container! a surprising thing is that for the 2nd time i had been keeping them, they go down to molt together. yes all together.. my tank was empty for the past 2 weeks and i had to wait for them to resurface before i can change their set up.. and after molting, 3 of them changed their shells out.. they grew quite alot after molting!

Their new set up! i bought a cheap soap holder with strong suction cups to act as a one-stop shell station as well as additional ground for roaming.. need to get more SUDO bottom sand though, not enough currently.. the water dish splits into 2 so i can have both salt and fresh water together, pretty shallow too even my smallest hermit can climb out without problems.. still trying to find a more nautral bowl though.

They love to climb alot! all 6 currently hanging on the wood or the coconut tree.

And here's a short video of the new set up.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 24-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Recently added 2 more tiny hermits bought from pet lover's centre and also a house made out of coconut shreads.. heres a FTS.
Old 25-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Nice cosy set-up. Like the ''2nd floor'' idea. Btw Will these hermit crabs grow big?
bettafantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafantastic View Post
Nice cosy set-up. Like the ''2nd floor'' idea. Btw Will these hermit crabs grow big?
Thanks bro, they appear to like this set up alot, much more active during the day. and they stay on top more often too. Yes, they do grow pretty big.. around golf ball size or maybe larger.. but they grow pretty slowly. i had 2 molts and they only grown around 0.5cm larger.