Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
KongMing

Default 1ft IOS cube tank

Hi bro's i will be setting up a 1ft IOS cube tank soon,can i know what type of non live corals rocks can i put i my marine fish tank cause i will not be using any chiller or can i put lava rocks in marine fish tankand can teach me more on keeping marine fish cause i never keep before any marine fish just wanted to try out keeping marine fish and get some experinceBTW what kind of marine fish is the easy to keep for begainnerThanks
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
KaLiB

You can buy liverocks sold at marine LFS to form the rockwork for your tank. They are useful both as a biological filter and as hiding spots for fish. In addition, they usually host critters on them that make interesting additions to the tank. Eg. Pods become food for fishes, Worms form cleanup crews. As long as temperatures don't exceed 30deg, they would do ok in the tank.

Its unadvisable to put lava rocks in the marine tank as saltwater itself is corrosive in nature and would cause the rocks to leech substances into the water. I have read reports of lava rocks leeching substances into the water, fueling nuisance algae growths.

I won't really go into the details of setting up a marine tank, the cycling period, etc.. as this would make the post too long. You can check it out here at deep_end's thread.

For a start, you can try the hardier and easier fishes for a small tank:
- Damsels(Very hardy and at times colourful but can get too aggressive later)
- False Percula Clownfish
- Firefish
- Cardinalfish
- Chromis
- Dottybacks
- Royal/Brazillian Gramma
Since the tank is small, i would advise to go easy on the stocking and don't put too many fish inside. In addition, don't stock the tank too fast either. Let the tank finish the cycling period and slowly add in the fish(I would suggest 1 per 2 weeks).

With the right approach and some patience, i'm sure you'll be successful and enjoy this hobby.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
KongMing

Thanks for your advice,Can i know which type of rocks can i buy?Dead corals rocks?Can i know where can i get marine fish and hydrometer(float type) in the west areaBTW what type of salt can i use for my setupIf i only keep marine fish and dead corals can i don't use chiller Thank You very Much
Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
KaLiB

You can buy dead coral rocks(believe these are used for cichlid setups too) but i would advise live rocks. They are superior to dead rocks as they introduce a host of organisms into the tank that help out in the overall filtration or act as scavengers.

You can go to Marine Life at hong leong gardens for your marine aquarium needs, i've read of comments that it is a good marine LFS to go to. There is a few other LFS in the West, you can find the list here.

You will have to buy marine aquarium salt for the setup. Do not use regular aquarium salt for freshwater. These salts are not meant for marine setups, they may contain impurities or lack the right balance of elements.

If you stick to only fish and rocks, you can definitely go without a chiller since the water need not be as cool(28,29deg is fine for fishes). However, if temperature regularly exceed 30deg, then i would suggest getting a fan/chiller to keep the water cool.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
KongMing

Can i know got any live corals rocks that can survive without chiller or fans?Now still considering to get one twins fans Cause live corals rocks is very nice and coolHahas
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
KaLiB

Are you asking about live rocks with corals? Or just live rocks?

If corals, you can try mushroom corals. They are slightly hardier and can tolerate slightly warmer temperatures, around 29deg is ok.

If its just plain liverocks, you don't need a chiller or fan for them. So long as tank temperature does not consistently exceed 30deg, i don't see a problem.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
KongMing

oh i am looking for both may i know does aquastar sell them?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
jasvinlee
Arofanatic

just been to aquastar havent seen any corals but they do have a few new batches of fish racoon butterfly and blue tang. would suggest you digest the information from bro deep_end before you embark happy fish keeping!
jasvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
KaLiB

If you want corals, you are very likely to need a chiller or a fan. For such a small tank, the high evaporation rates of a fan(cools by using evaporation) may pose a problem. Corals are less tolerant to warm waters as compared to fish, the ideal temperature range for a reef tank is 26-28deg.

I would recommend getting liverocks first and cycle the tank before the addition of any corals. Like fish, corals will also suffer and die from poor water quality.

In addition, as with any livestock, its recommended to readup before the purchase of any corals. Some corals are difficult to keep or have special requirements(like sun coral needs feeding) which are best avoided or left to dedicated aquarists who understand their needs and can provide for them.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
KongMing

Ok thanks for your advice will do some more research before buying live coralsBTW does mushroom Corals need feedingBTW wat does your feed live Corals