Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 28-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Jeffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavenger View Post
did a 20% water change today and it seem to help..

top layer oil is gone and fish are not at the top anymore
the layer is gone right now but will come back. i really would suggest some water movement and putting air pump on the tank is the easiest way. plus its giving your water more oxygen and fish like that. you really need surface agitation.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
rhodes_96

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavenger View Post
I checked with dip stick.. Still in acceptable level.
There is no acceptable level of ammonia it should be 0. Only if your tank is still cycling should there be a reading.
Sounds like your tank is not properly cycled and you have ammonia building up in the water.
Ensure you have adequate bio media in your filtration for your bio load, and add some bb products like seachem stability to speed up the cycling process.

The dipstick is not a proper measure of ammonia. Do yourself a favour go out and grab a proper liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Grab a bottle seachem prime while you are there. You use the prime to condition the water during wc and use to detoxify ammonia in emergency situations like you have been experiencing.

Last edited by rhodes_96; 30-08-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Floppy

I must agree on the cycling issue as I am doing so right now.

Now that I have passed the nitrie peak phase my fishes are swimming near the inlet instead and are covering the different levels of the tank
Old 26-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
fish88
Arofanatic

Default Fgt tank watechchange

Hi, I'm a newbe here, I would like to know if I do need to scoop up the surface of my fgt to reduce ammonia during water change or I can just put a airstone and not scoop the surface of the fgt during waterchange? As I'm currently keeping Ray in my fgt and it is quite tiring to keep scooping the surface during waterchange. Pls advise. Thank you
fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote