Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

add water also consider water change or not???

I dun believe any system in the world which dun need water change
Even nature needs rain water to top up also

Personally, to pump rays, my experience is to pump them with live feed like ghost shrimps which is their favourite food, when they pumped up leow then start on a different diet.

When I was keeping PDRs last time, they came here all with pelvis bone protruding out, that was scary, so anything they will eat, I just feed them that.

Now, alot are bred locally, so I think is best to ask breeder what their diet is and feed them those things....like what Tay said, feed frequently, but not feed them excessively
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
sen_jie
Senior Dragon

IMHO, no need do WC and jus top up is possible. BUT need to mimic nature, big big area with plants to absorb nitrate, deep bed for cultivating both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. fish to water ratio is huge. Yes for such "setup" its possible.

BUT sad truth is majority of us keep fish in FGT or tank. Water to fish ratio is low. No deep beds and not sufficient plants. So IMHO, WC is still a must to remove Nitrate, replace minerals and replenish DO.

To pump up ray, i use the same philosophy as how i pump up myself. I used to eat 3x big meals a day. My weigh still hovers at 63kg. But when i eat 5x meals a days (per meal i make sure i dun eat till the point of being so full till i cannot walk). My weigh starts to goes up.

Then i start to look at the quality of the food i am eating. I eliminate Macdonalds meals and stop processed food items. My weight went up further.

So what i am did for myself, i did it for my rays.
- weekdays i try to feed 3x a day. ( coz need to work)
- weekend i try to feed as many times i can but nv to the point they are so full and park in 1 corner
- Quality of the food. (in the wild i think la rays cannot catch sotong. coz sotong are mid level swimmer... wait. got freshwater sotong meh??? ) so i try to feed a variety of freshwater fish/shrimps to them. e.g tilapia, peacock bass, loach, and freshwater shrimps.

*** the above mentioned are IMHO, so may not be reflective of what the pro does. But am open for discussion***
sen_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Rays not in closed loop lakes lah Ah Lam .
Top up water only can work for rift tanks but system will crash given time or change in feeding.

Rays in rivers have continuous water change : water moves downstream perpetually.
No wc, top up water, kidney dialysis polyfilter, magic saliva, etc etc : given time will decompensate : fish die.

For those who never wc, proof of the pudding is new fish added into tank don't die.
Ponds have bigger margin for system crash due to less fish density and naturally present chelators like clay.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile

Last edited by Ong88; 01-07-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
Rays not in closed loop lakes lah Ah Lam .
Top up water only can work for rift tanks but system will crash given time or change in feeding.

Rays in rivers have continuous water change : water moves downstream perpetually.
No wc, top up water, kidney dialysis polyfilter, magic saliva, etc etc : given time will decompensate : fish die.

For those who never wc, proof of the pudding is new fish added into tank don't die.
Ponds have bigger margin for system crash due to less fish density and naturally present chelators like clay.
Lokun,

I personally believed in daily water change to increase fish appetite and health. Daily water change is better than scheduled weekly or no WC.

I never say I believed in no WC lah....some people do like my Boss
He told me his fish tank no need WC as the tank designer told him one.
The blardy tank is 5 feet and cost 8K I told him not to buy, but he believed the designer....end up fish die, water grow algae instead of fish
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #15
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Sorry Ah Lam.

Mis-read your post. Thought wrongly you gonna mislead ppl here.
My bad.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
wmh
Dragon

For me, I believe, adequate food, large space and frequent water change do increase the growth rate...

a friend of mine keeping 5-6 pcs rays in 8x4x3 fgt, doing daily 50% water change and feeding 3 times per day...the rays managed to grow from 5" to 12" in 8 months time...
wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #17
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I just replied to bro Marshy on his post not urs. I am exchanging pts with him not u. Why do u need to get sensitive and use LJ words. Haizzz..... i just posted to share some experience on how to keep rays only la. Haizzz ..... think better don talk too much...

However, i believed my pts stated are true. All rays keepers can be my witnesses lor.......
Bro Tay, I'm only making my comment/point on TS thread nia mah. I did not particularly quote u thread leh, more over in AF we always address our senior as Lau jiau de mah? Hahaha...u muz hab mistaken the word LJ as Lanz jiau izzit? Sorry, my bad...
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #18
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
Bro Tay, I'm only making my comment/point on TS thread nia mah. I did not particularly quote u thread leh, more over in AF we always address our senior as Lau jiau de mah? Hahaha...u muz hab mistaken the word LJ as Lanz jiau izzit? Sorry, my bad...
Awaiting your enlightenment to your claims.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Awaiting your enlightenment to your claims.
Mr. senior mod, sorry that I can't reveal much further due to proprietary reason, maybe I can share sweets, dinner or a cup of beer sometime when we meet up. Thanks for your interest.
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #20
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
Mr. senior mod, sorry that I can't reveal much further due to proprietary reason, maybe I can share sweets, dinner or a cup of beer sometime when we meet up. Thanks for your interest.
Means it's all talk and claims that will not be proven.

That's fine.

But until you do decide to prove that your methods and devices works, your posts about stuff like "no water change" and any other out of this world fishkeeping methodologies etc is to be kept solely to yourself.

The last thing we want in AF is for anyone to be sharing wrong/unproven information about fish keeping and especially when it is base on self claimed methods and technology.

Any of such posts from you that I encounter will be deleted and if you persistently choose to ignore my words, appropriate actions shall be taken.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote