Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 14-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
interesting looking chiller. what's the max capacity in litres it can support? could you PM price to me? also the location where you got the lights too
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T HO View Post
I am also interested. Pls pm me the same info. Thanks you very much. Will follow up on your up date. Thanks for sharing.
I am going back to petmart tomorrow to get more details on the chiller for you guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Interesting thread Jade, hope to see the updates quick.
Thanks Excelsior, I'll try my best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
saw this in AQ and it looks very promising
Thanks Wind.Feng, I also hope it continues to stay promising, as this project progresses, I am getting quite nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
cute looking chiller !!
oh yes, now the tank looks bright enough..!!
really can;t wait to see everything up and running!!
Yeah, I can't wait too. Haha. I think part of fishkeeping/aquascaping is the chance to get to play with so equipments that draw us guys into the hobby. I am gonna test run the filter and chiller soon and hopefully no leakage in my bedroom!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
looks nice bro ... hope will turn out good ~!
Thanks Reaverx, I hope it turns out well too!
Old 14-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #22
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I am going back to petmart tomorrow to get more details on the chiller for you guys..
thank you!
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #23
DrTech

Yeah, the chiller looks good... I'm also curious about the power consumption... Next time can consider getting
Old 15-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
JadeIceGreen

Alright, a bro from AQ managed to track down the website for my chiller.
http://www.cblue.com.tw/english/cs049%20eng.htm

So far, what I've learnt is that the reason why it is much quieter and smaller when compared to the normal compressor chiller is because it does not use refrigerant.

But I have no idea if its more energy efficient, will update you guys after going back to petmart so stay tune for the update!
Old 15-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #25
reaverx

216 watts of electricity , super high man o_O "
Old 15-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

where you see 216 watt?
Power:
Ordinary tome: <5W Cooling time: strong cool 180W±5℃ medium cool 120W±5℃
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
216 watts of electricity , super high man o_O "
Wah if so high I die liao.
Old 15-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
JadeIceGreen

For all those awaiting details on the chiller, Petmart has emailed their supplier for more information and I will post it here once it is known. For the cost, please PM me. Thanks for your patience.

And here is an update on my filtration system.

ADA uses Eheim 2211 for both their Mini S and Mini M (my tank size), so I am using Eheim 2211 too. Eheim is an awesome brand in my opinion, I know of friends who have used the same filter for 5 years without having to change the impeller or O ring, and if you change them, your filter can last another few years without problem, so its well worth the extra cost as it will be cheaper in the long run. German research, design and workmanship is amazing to say the least.

I chose the classic version over the newer Ecco filters because I believe in a design with no basket system. This will ensure more complete filtration and is in part confirmed by how ADA filters are also not equiped with baskets. But how effective this is, I think no one will ever know.

Another good think about the classic range is its backwash function, so there is no need to even remove the filter media. I love it!

Alright enough talk, I see people yawning liao, heh, here is my filter setup.

The bottom of the filter, water enters from the hole at the six o clock position.

German thoughfulness and planning here, a plastic strainer thingy to ensure that your filter media do not cover the base of the filter and thus preventing uneven water flow.

Eheim blue pre-filtering pad to trap the larger debris. This part is known as mechanical filtration.
Old 15-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #29
JadeIceGreen

Biological filtration is the most important part of the filter, and this article from http://www.aquajournal.net/na/notes/index.html best describes it.

"Ammonia that is generated from fish waste and dead leaves of aquatic plants is highly toxic. In high enough concentration, fish and shrimp are poisoned and killed. Nitrifying bacteria multiply in a filter and convert toxic ammonia to nitrite (NO2) and then to non-toxic nitrate (NO3). Thus organic matter is converted to inorganic matter and the water is purified. Not only bacteria but also a large number of protozoa colonize filter media. Protozoa mainly pray on bacteria and other protozoa. For example, if disease-causing bacteria that infect fish try to multiply, as long as the filter is functioning well, they are eaten by protozoa and the rate of disease outbreak is reduced. The microorganisms in a filter play an important role in natural ecosystems as well. They are the “decomposers” at the bottom of the ecosystem pyramid. A biological filter is an important part of Nature Aquarium that supports its basic concept of a small ecosystem where fish, aquatic plants, and microorganisms coexist and its environment is stabilized through a system similar to the one in nature."

I am using ADA's Bio Rio as my biological filter.

As the first month of the aquascape is a crucial one in which plants are still recovering from planting, chemical filtration is very important to remove all excess nutrients that the plants do not use to prevent algae. I am using Eheim's Aktiv Carbon.

A fine Eheim filter pad goes next to prevent fine debris from going back into the tank.

A
Old 15-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
JadeIceGreen

nother plastic strainer thingy right at the top.

Eheim 2211 holds about 1 litre of filter media. For the first one month, I will be running 500ml of Bio Rio and 500ml of Eheim Aktiv Carbon. For the second month, I will then run 750ml of Bio Rio and 250ml of Eheim Aktiv Carbon. And hopefully from the third month onwards, 1 litre of Bio Rio.

To help jump start nitrifying bacteria in my Bio Rio, I will be adding Seachem Stability.