Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
is this going to be a planted tank? your gravels looks like not thick enough for planting..
if it is a planted tank , then the air wand is not necessary.
Hi Fireblade, thanks for the advice. This will not be a planted tank. However, there will be some plants, just to break up the hardness of the look. Have added 2 nanas. Now waiting for them to take root on the wood and stone. Will also be adding a few Amazon Frogbits, when I can get them. Been a struggle trying to find some. Already visited 6 LFS, including Petmart, NKS, Rainbow, etc. But nil luck thus far. Very sad. Quite lost coz not sure if I should go further to find. No car, very cham. Lol
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Hi, JIG, thanks for reading and also the many tips! Already added the Nanas today and some rocks. Will take some pics tomoro when i have the time. Was rushing around today collecting stuff for my wedding. Hehe! Am quite happy with the setup so far, other than the lack of the Amazon Frogbits as stated in the previous post. Been searching until giddy, still cannot find. Will be updating my test readings tomoro as well. Already detecting small traces of Nitrites. hope it's not my eyes playing tricks on me. So impatient to grab some cories...
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Hi, JIG, thanks for reading and also the many tips! Already added the Nanas today and some rocks. Will take some pics tomoro when i have the time. Was rushing around today collecting stuff for my wedding. Hehe! Am quite happy with the setup so far, other than the lack of the Amazon Frogbits as stated in the previous post. Been searching until giddy, still cannot find. Will be updating my test readings tomoro as well. Already detecting small traces of Nitrites. hope it's not my eyes playing tricks on me. So impatient to grab some cories...
Congrats on the wedding!
Do know what you are getting into if you use frogbits, I had it, regretted it, it was a real mess. Lol.

Looking forward to your update with more pictures!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Congrats on the wedding!
Do know what you are getting into if you use frogbits, I had it, regretted it, it was a real mess. Lol.

I used mini salvia and it seems to mess with my previous tank's wter parameter.. Removed them and now my tank is safer. :/

Hope to see ur full tank shot soon!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Congrats on the wedding!

Thanks! You had some bad problems with frogbits? What happened? I wanted some floating plant, not too large, to break up the flatness of the surface as well as to help absorb some of the nitrates when the tank is fully cycled and also to provide some shelter from the direct lighting. Duckweed became out of the question due to it's prolific expansionary characteristic! Was thinking frogbits would be better. Lol... Looks like i need to do more research on frogbits. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just took some readings this morning.

PH: 7.0
Nitrites: 0.5 mg/l (confirmed this time, not traces)
Nitrates: 10.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 4.0 mg/l (color seems to fall somewhere between 4.0-8.0 mg/l)

Based on the readings, i'm beginning to have some hope that I'm entering into stage 2 of the nitrogen for the nitrite spike. Let's see over the next few days. Will take a tank shot later in the afternoon when I come back from work. Thanks for viewing!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCloud View Post
I used mini salvia and it seems to mess with my previous tank's wter parameter.. Removed them and now my tank is safer. :/

Hope to see ur full tank shot soon!
O.O how did it affect your parameters? Mind elaborating? Thanks! Will post a tank shot later, after work! Thanks for viewing!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Thanks! You had some bad problems with frogbits? What happened? I wanted some floating plant, not too large, to break up the flatness of the surface as well as to help absorb some of the nitrates when the tank is fully cycled and also to provide some shelter from the direct lighting. Duckweed became out of the question due to it's prolific expansionary characteristic! Was thinking frogbits would be better. Lol... Looks like i need to do more research on frogbits. Thanks for the heads-up!
Argh, I made a mistake. I meant to mean duckweed. Frogbits should be fine as they are not too small, duckweed was a mess.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

ok. finally got some pics down, sorry for the poor quality pics... my living room isn't very conducive for taking pics and the tank light is rather weak. also, my photography skills suck... ...

The tank shot

The Nanas and my rock shelter. Not quite sure how to tie it on and am hoping the Nanas eventually find some way to grip on to the rock. Anyone can suggest anything?

the other Nanas which stuffed into a hollow in the Driftwood.

and finally, some of the tank inhabitants

Thanks for viewing and any comments very much welcomed! Am still looking for 2 things to improve on the look. Amazon Frogbits and Water Lettuce. Anyone has any to let go, am always willing to buy. Can't post in Buy/Sell yet though, so just have to camp the livestock segment.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Test readings taken today

PH: 8.0
Nitrites: 2.0 mg/l
Nitrates: 25.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 4.0 mg/l

Definite spike in Nitrites and Nitrates readings. Ammomia is still detectable at 4.0 mg/l. Hope to begin to see a fall in Ammonia readings over the next few days.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Readings taken today:

PH: 7.0
Nitrites: 5.0 mg/l
Nitrates: 50.0-100.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 4.0 mg/l

Am wondering if now would be a good time to do a small water change just to dilute the ammonia and nitrite levels a little. However, that would also skew my subsequent readings a little. Anyone any advice?