Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 13-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #41
blacknight89

Nice one
Old 13-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #42
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight89 View Post
Nice one
Thanks bro, one of these days must drop by your place to view your aro tank.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #43
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Finally got some time to post up the pics I took. Pardon my lack of skills and the blurry pics. I don't have a macro lens to take really swee shots... + a pathetic tank light... hard to take nice pics... Will try my best to take better shots next round.

View of the tank from above

Some of the Sterbais

Exploring

And Gardening

To Be Continued
Old 16-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #44
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Continued...

And Staring Me Down

One Big Happy Family

Doing their little ... ... dance, I think...

Thanks for visiting!
Old 17-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #45
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Argh! Had a close look at my tank and found algae growth on the tank glass and white worms! Zzzz... Anyone has any good solutions to clear out these white worms? I'm thinking I should cut down on the feeding... And maybe try to vacuum those worms out.
Old 17-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #46
beo

very cute corys
Old 18-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #47
psych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Thanks for sharing. Agree that the water colour could have been much worse without the Purigen. I never quite expected the DW to leech out this much tannins, else I would have had the AC in from day 1. Without turning on the tank lights in the afternoon, I can barely make out the fish swimming at the back end of the tank.

And yes, I'm struggling to keep the PH higher. It's dropping 0.5 every 2 days. Short of using sodium bicarb amd WC, what else can we use to maintain the PH. I have a small bag of CC from my dad's old marine setup, just added recently, if that doesn't work, I might have to think of something else again.
Hey Jon, sorry didnt have time to log in. Nice to see that you have added the cories. Actually if the fishes are doing fine with the current ph I don't think you should worry about raising or lowering. An update on the Purigen, I think for it to work best, you have to devise some kind of a reactor for it maximize water contact with all the media. I am using Purigen's The Bag, placing it in my canister filter. However I noticed the media right inside(middle) are more or less still white as compared to those in the outer most layer which are almost completely brown. I feel that using Purigen in a micron bag is not the most effective way to maximize contact with all media.

There is a post the forum where this guy used a prefilter to construct a Purigen reactor. Looks very effective, I almost wanted to try it, but I think it's quite unsightly for my current environment and the situation isn't that desperate for me yet
Old 18-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #48
psych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Argh! Had a close look at my tank and found algae growth on the tank glass and white worms! Zzzz... Anyone has any good solutions to clear out these white worms? I'm thinking I should cut down on the feeding... And maybe try to vacuum those worms out.
Been there! I believe it's planaria, and it's very very hard to COMPLETELY get rid of them all. It always happens when I overfeed them too. All I do is reduce feeding to once a day and water change 40% for the next few days. The problem will always subside.

One time my planaria problem got very bad that I decided to resort to chemicals and purchased a packet of Fenbendazole. I read it works very well in killing planaria and is relatively safe to most fishes when used in correct doses. But in the end I did not use as the reduced feeding and water change did the trick, and I always try not to use chemicals.
Old 19-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #49
JadeIceGreen

Nice to see that your tank is up and running! How is your aquaclear filter serving you?
Old 19-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #50
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Psych:

It looks like Purigen-in-a-bag isn't working out that well. Am not too sure how a pre-filter works. Would you need an additional pump or higher volume pump to ensure you don't suffer too much loss in flowrate? I did remember watching a video where a canister was used to house some media which were free moving. The water flow through the canister was whirling the media around the canister. Am not too sure if this is what you were referring to. If I remember reading correctly, Purigen comes in very small beads. Will be quite a task trying to contain the beads in the canister, if that's what you were referring to.

Planaria refers to the white worms? Am going to do a water change + a filter cleaning this friday. Hopefully it's due to excess food particles stuck in the filter. Will prob do a few water changes regularly after that. Hope that helps to clear out the Planaria.

JIG:

The Aquaclear's working out fine. It's really silent and clears up the tank really quick. My only beef is the Amazon Frogbits. Drives me nuts everyday. The frogbits have these really long and fragile roots that get easily torn off when they get snagged on my DW. The roots then get sucked into the filter inlet. As I wanted to have my filter inlet closer to the bottom of the tank, I used the extension intake tube provided with the Aquaclear. This resulted in me having 2 inlet sieves to unchoke as and when the roots get sucked into the intake tube, since the intake tube and inlet sieve are 1 complete unit. lol, I hope you get what I'm trying to describe. Will post pics when I get home after work today for better comprehension.

On a side note, i'm thinking of dismantling the rock shelter on the left side of the tank. Am just wondering what to do with that space though. The tank looks really bare with just the 1 DW and 2 nanas. Anyone has any suggestion?