Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 06-05-2018, 03:32 AM   #41
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Klopp nominated for PL Manager of the Year award

Jürgen Klopp has been nominated for the Premier League Manager of the Year award.

The Liverpool manager has taken the Reds to the Champions League final where they will face Real Madrid in Kiev on May 26 after the semi-final win over AS Roma.

Klopp is shortlisted along with Pep Guardiola (Manchester City), Rafael Benitez (Newcastle United), Sean Dyche (Burnley), Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace) and Chris Hughton (Brighton and Hove Albion).

You can play a part in the voting and the poll closes at 12 noon BST on Thursday May 10.

Click here to vote for Klopp now.

The winner will be announced on Tuesday May 15 at the LMA awards evening.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:33 AM   #42
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 06-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #43
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool FC sends support to Sir Alex Ferguson

The thoughts of everyone at Liverpool Football Club are with Sir Alex Ferguson and his family following the news that the former Manchester United manager is ill in hospital.

A great rival but also a great friend who supported this club during its most difficult time, it is hoped that Sir Alex will make a full recovery.

In the meantime, the club will offer its full support to Manchester United and also his family.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #44
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Mohamed Salah shortlisted for Player of the Season award

Mohamed Salah has been shortlisted for the Premier League Player of the Year award, in association with EA Sports.

Salah has netted an incredible 43 goals so far in his debut season at Anfield which has seen Liverpool reach the Champions League final where the Reds face Real Madrid in Kiev on May 26.

Liverpool’s No.11 has already been named the PFA Players' Player of the Year and Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year.

The Egyptian is among six players nominated for the accolade with the shortlist also including Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), David De Gea (Manchester United) and James Tarkowski (Burnley).

You can play a part in the voting and the poll closes at 12 noon BST on Thursday May 10.

Click here to vote for Salah now.

The winner will be announced on the morning of Sunday May 13.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #45
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Jürgen Klopp on LFC's summer transfer plans

Jürgen Klopp wants to add depth to Liverpool's squad this summer.

The Reds, who this week booked a place in the Champions League final, have already sealed a deal for Guinea midfielder Naby Keita to join the club from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig on July 1.

Klopp expects to do further business to build on a season that could conclude with a second successive top-four finish in the Premier League and a ticket to compete in Europe’s elite tournament again.

“Naby has the quality to have a big effect on the team immediately when he arrives. He is not playing the World Cup so he will have a full pre-season with us, which will help him a lot,” said the manager.

“We will probably sign a couple more players in the summer because we need more depth in the squad.

“To bring in players who are 200 per cent better than what we have will be difficult but we had a problem when [Philippe] Coutinho left and Adam Lallana and then Emre Can became injured.

“You can never remove all injury risk and the boys still did brilliantly, but of course we will try to strengthen the squad because that’s how it is.”
Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #46
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 07-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #47
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Klopp reveals Liverpool's summer transfer plans - but who is he keeping tabs on?

Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool will sign “a couple more players” in the forthcoming transfer window as he begins to plot his summer recruitment.

The Reds will already be bolstered by the arrival of Naby Keita, with a deal having been agreed for the RB Leipzig midfielder to arrive on July 1.

Liverpool, though, sold Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona for £142million in January and are set to lose Emre Can for nothing in the summer.

Klopp has struggled for options at times this season with Joel Matip out, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sidelined well into the new campaign and Adam Lallana having barely featured this term.

Liverpool are keeping tabs on Napoli midfielder Jorginho and Borussia Dortmund's United States international Christian Pulisic.

The Reds are also monitoring Roma goalkeeper Alisson but believe a deal could be problematic due to the Serie A side's exorbitant asking price.

They have also been linked with several other players, including Norwich City's highly-rated 21-year-old midfielder James Maddison.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #48
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool now face 'two Champions League finals' after unlucky Chelsea defeat

Jurgen Klopp admits Liverpool now face two Champions League finals after an “unlucky” defeat to Chelsea sent their top-four challenge down to the wire.

The Reds face another last-day decider after Olivier Giroud's first-half header sent them tumbling to a 1-0 reverse at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Liverpool remain in third place, but are only a point ahead of fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur with Chelsea a further two adrift.

With both London clubs playing their game in hand in midweek, there is every chance Klopp's side will need to beat Brighton and Hove Albion in their final Premier League fixture next Sunday to guarantee Champions League qualification – as they had to last season against Middlesbrough.

“We have a final next Sunday,” said Klopp. “That's how life is.

“That's my life... always until the last matchday!

“Middlesbrough were already relegated that day. I watched Brighton against (Manchester) United (on Friday) and it didn't look like it would be an easy game. They were really good that night.

“But my boys showed me (against Chelsea) they are really ready to fight and to fight. The situation is really intense, but I am proud of how they deal with it.

“Chelsea have to win their last game as well. We play at home, they are at Newcastle. That doesn't sound like a holiday trip to me.”

Tottenham have home games against Newcastle United and Leicester City remaining, while Chelsea entertain Huddersfield Town on Wednesday before finishing at St James Park.

Liverpool dominated possession at Stamford Bridge but appeared tired in the Bank Holiday sun following their exertions in reaching the Champions League final by seeing off Roma last Wednesday.

And Klopp, who made only one change to the starting line-up, said: “Result-wise we were a little bit unlucky, but when you come to Chelsea you cannot expect you will win or get a point, even though we've done it a few times.

“It's an intense period. If you want to be successful, the decisions are made in the last part of the season.

“I'm not shocked or surprised by what happened today. Now I'm happy the intense part of the season for us is now over, between the games we have time to prepare them properly and that will help us massively.”

While praising the application of his players, Klopp admitted he was disappointed with the manner of Chelsea's winner, with Giroud losing Virgil van Dijk and climbing above Dejan Lovren to head home a Victor Moses cross.

“I'm really proud of the boys to be honest,” said the Reds boss. “They again invested everything.

“There's one moment I'm really disappointed, not happy, angry about, that's the goal.

“Really, we should not concede a goal like that. It's clear. It's like a planned move, cut back, soft cross, and Giroud is there. It's clear we had to avoid those situations, and we only had to avoid it one more time in the game and then we had a draw.

“With the rest I'm absolutely fine.

“If you asked me what I wanted when I woke up this morning, it would have been a nice and easy 3-0 win, enjoying the sun and don't care about the Brighton game and prepare for the final.

“Did I think that would happen? I was not sure.

“Hopefully the boys came through the game okay. They showed their outstanding character.”
Old 07-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #49
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp responds to Nabil Fekir transfer links

Liverpool have distanced themselves from reports they have agreed a deal to sign Lyon captain Nabil Fekir.

A story from RMC Sport in France claimed on Sunday the Reds had concluded a deal for the 23-year-old attacking midfielder.

It was stated former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier had played a part in helping broker the agreement, which would cost £60million plus bonuses.

However, it is understood such reports are wide of the mark, although the Reds keen to strengthen their attacking midfield and forward options this summer.

Jurgen Klopp was asked about the report after Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday.

“During the game, we agreed a deal?!” said the Reds boss. “I would be surprised about that to be honest. No comment.”

Klopp also responded jokingly to claims Liverpool were interested in Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.

“Who was the second name? Dembele? Oooh, is he on the market? Now I am interested!” he said.

“I never comment on transfer rumours. I have already said much more than I usually do.”
Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #50
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Why Mohamed Salah paid the price for his dive at Chelsea

Jurgen Klopp believes Mohamed Salah paid the price for his dive after the Liverpool forward suffered a rare off-day.

Salah was shown a yellow card by referee Anthony Taylor for simulation in the first half after tumbling when going into a challenge with Chelsea defender Gary Cahill.

It summed up an afternoon of frustration for the Reds forward, who had no chance of adding to his 43 goals this season in Liverpool's 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

This was the second game in succession the Egyptian came up against a former club having appeared against Roma at the Stadio Olimpico in midweek.

And Klopp said: “Now he played twice against former team-mates. It was clear before against Rome, before the game they are very friendly; ‘hello Mo, how are you?’ a hug here and a hug there.

“Then when the game starts, bam. Same with Rudiger today.

“And obviously it was a dive, yes? Or he waits for the contact or whatever. That’s not what I want to see, not what he wants to do, but then after that he didn’t get any fouls any more.

“Rudiger was always like this (pulls shirt) but he had to deal with it.

“He can do much better, he will do much better. He will score again, but it was not a game for him today. He can play with no space, but there was no space.”

Klopp, meanwhile, sent out his best wishes to former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who remains in hospital after surgery following a brain haemorrhage.

“I met Sir Alex after the first leg with Roma, he passed my way together with Gerard Houllier and I had a few words with him,” said the Reds boss.

“So when I heard yesterday on the way to London, I really couldn’t believe it, that something like this can happen. But it can happen to all of us.

“He was last night, and will be 100% in my prayers, and I wish him and his family all the best.

“He will be in a good shape again I am sure, and I am looking forward to seeing him again.”