Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 20-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
I am using Eheim compact plus series and Mr. Aqua OHF combo.

This model allows you to fix the pump at high level.

All you need is attach a standard elbow to the outlet of the pump to direct the water to the filter box and attach a straight pipe toward the gravel at the inlet of the pump.
thanks bro! Yup, got this running in one of my tanks but a eheim compact (not the plus model) and stuck to the side using suckers. The eheim suckers appear pretty good and the compact pump is pretty light - should be fine and doesnt slide down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Bro Zonkkie,

If you insist on ious (I may get the acronym wrong), set your rock pile to the other end of the tank. That way it's far from the suction. But I heard sand may get sucked in? Need ious user to verify.
In your case I would rather use a canister, but place the inlet around 20cm above sand level.

Jo
Hi Jo - first thanks for your training and poison on tanganyika 101. Know go see your tanks sure tio poison deep deep one.

Have already decided to use the current 7x1.5x2 tank for the tangas after migrating the altums and discus to a new tank. Will be running canister + ohf + ios. My ios no underflow so should be ok be used with sand!

thanks all for advice - anything else do let me know.
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Bro, you into African as well?
Haha
no la, now part-timing in a LFS in aussie so went to read up more on cichlids to help assist sales. then came in and read abt tanga (which have a crap selection here) so got more and more poisoned by them. right now only breeding some SA dwarf cichlids.

anyway, lost your number... managed to get it from ced
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
I am using Eheim compact plus series and Mr. Aqua OHF combo.

This model allows you to fix the pump at high level.

Photo source : http://aquariumonderdelen.nl/compact_plus_2000

All you need is attach a standard elbow to the outlet of the pump to direct the water to the filter box and attach a straight pipe toward the gravel at the inlet of the pump.
This look good bud....solve the weight problem and the sand problem as well. Thanks for sharing.

BTW Zonkkie I think you may wanna buy extra suckers to replace them regularly...imo.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
This look good bud....solve the weight problem and the sand problem as well. Thanks for sharing.

BTW Zonkkie I think you may wanna buy extra suckers to replace them regularly...imo.
Actually the only problem will be most big tanks have bracing... So not sure if this will still work? Or only on braceless tanks.
Old 20-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Young Man
Senior Dragon

congrats on getting poisoned hahaha no issues with internal filtration. IOUS or IOS also can. if you worried about fries or sand getting sucked in, then block off the underflow with sponge also can and leave it.
fries, if you decide to let them be and not harvest them out, most of the time stays near parents for a start, so if your shells and rockpiles are away from the inlets, they should be fine.

so your filtration if you have the internal plus an OHF should be good enough. but if you wana add a cannister, why not? haha
main thing is make sure you cycle your tank well before stocking up.
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
canopy
Dragon

7ft tank ...wow... but the salt you need to put inside will be like
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
congrats on getting poisoned hahaha no issues with internal filtration. IOUS or IOS also can. if you worried about fries or sand getting sucked in, then block off the underflow with sponge also can and leave it.
fries, if you decide to let them be and not harvest them out, most of the time stays near parents for a start, so if your shells and rockpiles are away from the inlets, they should be fine.

so your filtration if you have the internal plus an OHF should be good enough. but if you wana add a cannister, why not? haha
main thing is make sure you cycle your tank well before stocking up.
thanks bro... look forward to your advice. My OHF currently only 3 tray (not 3 layer)... so not enough and need canister. Will see if can add on more trays after moving out the existing inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
7ft tank ...wow... but the salt you need to put inside will be like
I no farm leh... only got one tank to play.... no choice.

Any idea if can just use coral chips and baking soda? Or need to add salt.
Old 20-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
wildbear
Arofanatic

Wow... 7ft! Imagine a big school of utintas in open water Nice....can't wait to see your set-up.
Welcome to tanga community bro
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
canopy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
I no farm leh... only got one tank to play.... no choice.

Any idea if can just use coral chips and baking soda? Or need to add salt.
bro... depends on which river. Baking soda i think cannot hit so high
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
wildbear
Arofanatic

Bro, i'm also a tanga beginner offering what I have learn from all the tanga dragons...

basically coral chips/coral sand is used to maintain/stable PH.....around 8.0 -9.0 should be fine (mine at around 8+/-). You can visit lfs to get ready mix tanganyika buffer & tanganyika salt to get the required hardness & PH to replicate the natural environment of tanga fishes. Or to save on the high cost of buying ready mix (wow...7ft), most bros here do their own diy buffer...I'm sure bros here is more then ready to share their formula with you.
Of cos they are other tanga keeper who prefer to use different parameter for their fishes.
With the advise from all the above tanga shifu...and more visit to see their collections, you will get more knowledgeable and more poison

Enjoy!
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote