Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 15-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
^GeNoME^
Dragon

Wat is ur pH? If ur pH is low enough, NH3 might not be high enougb to harm ur fish.
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
Derekyap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafei View Post
Try to get a canister with sufficient media. I have 5 goldfish in a 2ft tank currently.
May I know what canister you are currently using?
Derekyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #13
AdamC
Arofanatic

Hi Derek, don't worry. For the time being, your fish are still tiny in comparison to your 2 ft tank. But as they grow larger, the 2 ft tank might not be the best environment for them. Based on the info you have provided, your tank is not yet fully cycled. When it is, your ammonia and nitrite readings should be zero, and you should see nitrate reading. Most importantly, are your fish active and are they eating well? If they are, do nothing except for 25-30% WC every two days. Make sure you treat your tap water with good water conditioner such as Seachem Prime or AquaScience, as recommended by many. Follow the directions on dosage. For filtration, you may consider an OHF or stackable trickle tower. These are preferred over a canister, when you are keeping goldfish. In due time, your tank will be cycled, but do not expect this to happen overnight. Depending on the conditions, this could happen within 7-10 days or sometimes weeks. Just be patient. Hope this helps.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
^GeNoME^
Dragon

Maybe u will like to stop water change or water change.by RO or distilled water? If u add anti.chlorine to tap water, it also produces ammonia as a by product. If ur pH is lower than 7, u might b alright. Go and google for conversion chart relating ammonia concentration at various pH. Ur kit measures total ammonia and ammonium is present is larger quantity and they r relatively harmless.
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Derekyap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Hi Derek, don't worry. For the time being, your fish are still tiny in comparison to your 2 ft tank. But as they grow larger, the 2 ft tank might not be the best environment for them. Based on the info you have provided, your tank is not yet fully cycled. When it is, your ammonia and nitrite readings should be zero, and you should see nitrate reading. Most importantly, are your fish active and are they eating well? If they are, do nothing except for 25-30% WC every two days. Make sure you treat your tap water with good water conditioner such as Seachem Prime or AquaScience, as recommended by many. Follow the directions on dosage. For filtration, you may consider an OHF or stackable trickle tower. These are preferred over a canister, when you are keeping goldfish. In due time, your tank will be cycled, but do not expect this to happen overnight. Depending on the conditions, this could happen within 7-10 days or sometimes weeks. Just be patient. Hope this helps.
Yes bro! The ranches are eating well and active. Have been listening to some bros' advice to cut down on feeding, water change and dosing Waterlife - Digest Ammonia and Nitrite to cultivate good bacteria. Hopefully the tank will be fully cycle soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice as it is my first time rearing GF, these advices are useful!
Derekyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
AdamC
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekyap View Post
Yes bro! The ranches are eating well and active. Have been listening to some bros' advice to cut down on feeding, water change and dosing Waterlife - Digest Ammonia and Nitrite to cultivate good bacteria. Hopefully the tank will be fully cycle soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice as it is my first time rearing GF, these advices are useful!
Good to hear they are active and are eating well.
It's a good idea to reduce feeding at this time.
I had recently set up a 2 ft tank in my room running an OHF plus the in-built filtration toward the rear of the tank. There's approx. 2 kg of media total consisting of Eheim substrate pro, ceramic rings, and crushed corals. The tank took about 3 weeks to cycle completely when Seachem Stability. I have 3 pieces of 3" ranchu living in the tank since week 2 when the water was still a bit cloudy from bacteria bloom. Often times, water parameter readings are good indicators but most importantly, we still have to observe the fish. While the tank was still cycling, I only feed once a day, food to be consumed within 2-3 mins. Give it another few days, your tank will be cycled. Enjoy the hobby.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote