Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Vincent Lock

Default T8 (2 x 25W) vss T5 (2 x 21W) will it be the same...

hi bro, again need u guys to provide me some knowledge on lighting....

Currently im using 2 x 25W T8 Daylight for my 45g fish tank (36in x 16in x 18in). But I am thinking to switch to 2 x 21W T5 (low output). Will I get the same rsult as T8? For what I understand the T5 intensity is better then T8, right?

I have Java fern, Nana, sterm plant (grow quite fast using current light) which i do not know the name... and fissiden moss....
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
mtanec

what determine the result is the Lumen reading for the light tubes that usually represented as 6500k, 10,000k and 12,000k..

the higher the lumen reading, the more intensed the light will be..
Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Vincent Lock

that mean T5 (2 x 21W) will be more intensed then T8 (2 x 25W) right?

Bros here, is T5 selling in the LFS is using e-ballast? And T8 can be using e-ballast or old type ballest to operate right?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
kencfk

Think the nature of both light tubes are diff. Intensity and depth of penetration. So its hard to compare this way via wattage alone.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Vincent Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencfk View Post
Think the nature of both light tubes are diff. Intensity and depth of penetration. So its hard to compare this way via wattage alone.
In that case, if i will to switch to HO T5 (2 x 39W) will it consider high light planted tank...? bcoz i prefer low light planted tank (less maintenance) and eletricity consumption will be lower in long run.as well... very
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
antonioshabirto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Lock View Post
In that case, if i will to switch to HO T5 (2 x 39W) will it consider high light planted tank...? bcoz i prefer low light planted tank (less maintenance) and eletricity consumption will be lower in long run.as well... very
i thought T8 is better ??
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Hmm, since you mentioned you wanted a low light tank, why the thought of thinking of switching from T8 to T5? You could just continue using your T8...
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Vincent Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Hmm, since you mentioned you wanted a low light tank, why the thought of thinking of switching from T8 to T5? You could just continue using your T8...
no lar.... i think of switching to Low output T5 which is 2 x 21 watts... but dont no will it give the same result as what im using now (i.e. 2 x 25W daylight)....

Last edited by Vincent Lock; 11-10-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Mark Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanec View Post
what determine the result is the Lumen reading for the light tubes that usually represented as 6500k, 10,000k and 12,000k..

the higher the lumen reading, the more intensed the light will be..
Hi, just to share.
The higher the lumen the brighter it is, is correct.
Kevin is a colour temperature og the light, not the intensity.
The higher the kevin the ligher looks more bluesh.
You can read the the light output lumen on the packing, normally they spec it in.
Normally a 18W normal T8 FL tube, their lumen is around is around 600 lumen to 680 lumen depending on brand make.
Best regards
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
ryo88
Arofanatic

Quote:
hi bro, again need u guys to provide me some knowledge on lighting....

Currently im using 2 x 25W T8 Daylight for my 45g fish tank (36in x 16in x 18in). But I am thinking to switch to 2 x 21W T5 (low output). Will I get the same rsult as T8? For what I understand the T5 intensity is better then T8, right?

I have Java fern, Nana, sterm plant (grow quite fast using current light) which i do not know the name... and fissiden moss....
T5 is more efficent and likley in this case produce more light then the 2 T8
ryo88 is offline   Reply With Quote