Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 25-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
kencfk

Default Balance between CO2 & Fan

Hi guys,

Wanna ask a general question for those keeping aquatic plants that require cool waters to thrive (US Fissiden, Willow Moss, and Xmas Moss).

Lets say that I dun have a budget for a chiller and its not possible to put a chiller in my bedroom (cos there is not much air circulation).

I have 2 piece of fans attached on top of my tank to reduce the temp (by 1 or 2 degrees). Nnow that I wanna consider a CO2 tank installation. However, I heard that vast surface evaporation can drive off CO2. But without any fans, the water temp would shoot up to 30 degrees during the day!

How do you guys in my situation make for a compromise? Any tricks and tips to share?

Old 25-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

increase the amount of co2 output then..
get a drop checker as well, and you will be able to tune your co2 level to the correct level.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
jerome9731
Arofanatic

hi got a question also, will a drop checker work for a tank with amazionia 2 soil
jerome9731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

Just increase more co2 output gradually.... topping up is cheap anyway. Get a larger co2 tank so your usage of co2 will last longer and longer time before you send for topping up.

cheers,
zhan
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencfk View Post
Hi guys,

Wanna ask a general question for those keeping aquatic plants that require cool waters to thrive (US Fissiden, Willow Moss, and Xmas Moss).

Lets say that I dun have a budget for a chiller and its not possible to put a chiller in my bedroom (cos there is not much air circulation).

I have 2 piece of fans attached on top of my tank to reduce the temp (by 1 or 2 degrees). Nnow that I wanna consider a CO2 tank installation. However, I heard that vast surface evaporation can drive off CO2. But without any fans, the water temp would shoot up to 30 degrees during the day!

How do you guys in my situation make for a compromise? Any tricks and tips to share?

bro, the fan agitation on the water surface is inevitable, so not much you can do about it. But however colder water tends to hold co2 better, so that in a way cancels out the first effect.

Getting a co2 reactor or diffuser will help co2 dissolve greatly in your water flow and therefore there should be minimal escape of co2 gases when most of it is being dissolved in the water.

Im using this kind of setup, and plants doing very well.
Just dont get a airpump, that kind of an effect will reduce the co2 concentration greatly.

hope it helps
Old 25-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
the_r0ck

It is impossible to not have water movement or evaporation. A tank without any surface movement means that circulation is a problem.

Don't worry to much about the water movement and how much carbon you will lose. Unless you are using a very strong fan (but honestly fans can only reduce a little of the heat, no matter how big the fan is) then you can just carry on with your carbon injection regime, plus and minus a little.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
kencfk

Thanks for all your input, will get more confidence in my CO2 installation.
Am using Aircon ocassionally overnight when the days and nights get really stuffy and warm nowadays. Helps to cool down the water too, but wont be viable in long terms as Aircon bills are not cheap.
Have the fans on when aircon is off tho.
Old 26-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
bbpippen

Quote:
Thanks for all your input, will get more confidence in my CO2 installation.
Am using Aircon ocassionally overnight when the days and nights get really stuffy and warm nowadays. Helps to cool down the water too, but wont be viable in long terms as Aircon bills are not cheap.
Have the fans on when aircon is off tho.
yeah bills will be high, but take note in the temperature drops, not too good for the faunas inside the tank.
Old 27-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
kencfk

Yeah, water temp fluctuates too much also not too good.
Old 27-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
bbpippen

Quote:
Yeah, water temp fluctuates too much also not too good.
hope you have settled your cooling system