Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
orionwarrior

Default Where to buy DIY

I would like to diy a new 2 ft light. Can anyone advise where to get the materials for me to get started? ( Looking for everything include casing )
Old 04-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionwarrior View Post
I would like to diy a new 2 ft light. Can anyone advise where to get the materials for me to get started? ( Looking for everything include casing )
try homefix ? or any hardware shops, they have a casing for the tube included, but its not cheap.
at least i feel getting a complete nicer set of lights at slightly higher price in LFS is worth the work.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
orionwarrior

ok thanks for the input
Old 06-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
chipsetboy
Arofanatic

if you are not a handyman, i suggest you just buy off the shelf.

but if you are, you might have a masterpiece not find anywhere
chipsetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
whq
Arofanatic

Quote:
But anyway if you still wanna DIY. You can go to hardware shop to get some plywood to make the hood(casing) for the light, but will be better to layer with contact paper (something like oyama paper but for wood, can add as a protective layer from water). A sheet of aluminium (try to polish it with brasso, to get a better shine for deflector in the hood), roll the sheet to the required angle and screw onto the hood. Then you can add e-ballast at the back outside back part of the hood (for ventilation and also reduce the heat generated in the tank) and attach PL holder in the hood as for the wattage you have to work it out abit.

A simple illustration:
whq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whq View Post
But anyway if you still wanna DIY. You can go to hardware shop to get some plywood to make the hood(casing) for the light, but will be better to layer with contact paper (something like oyama paper but for wood, can add as a protective layer from water). A sheet of aluminium (try to polish it with brasso, to get a better shine for deflector in the hood), roll the sheet to the required angle and screw onto the hood. Then you can add e-ballast at the back outside back part of the hood (for ventilation and also reduce the heat generated in the tank) and attach PL holder in the hood as for the wattage you have to work it out abit.

A simple illustration:
good info bro. =]
Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
orionwarrior

thanks for the input. Did u make one like this before?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
whq
Arofanatic

Quote:
thanks for the input. Did u make one like this before?
yup used to have 1 that i diyed. but that was yrs ago. Basically the whole idea for the lighting is as the picture. But if you are diying for cheaper budget, then i will suggest that you buy a brand new set or even buy from other bros in the forum.
whq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
reversebungee

sim lim towers and sim lim square(lvl 5, 6) have what u may need.