Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
ilovechilired

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
When population increase, demand for car will also go up. But our pm lack 20/20 foresight....

Increase of population suppose to help improve quality of life for Sporeans but apparently not so... now many Sporean need change to take bus instead of owning a car due to hi price.

No doubt car is a luxury item.. but this fast spike up in price of car also because of a sudden surge in population within a short time span.
its only in their dreams that the increase of population has help improve quality of our lives.. really dunno how it had helped, just like how GST has helped the poor.. these assholes

given a choice, taking public transport is fine but sg transport is at their all time lowly state.. imagine this evening, from harborfront to lavender and to my home in potong pasir, it bloody took me 2.5 hrs!!!! roads are jammed like siao, buses are crowded like shit until a double deck is full like sardines and some just resort to standing in the upper deck.. how the hell lui tuck yew find a seat in a bus and can afford to read papers.. i dunno!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
hkh
Arofanatic

Wit so many people onboard....the roads can only be cleared when COEs are out of reach of the middle class........ at say few hundred thousands a piece...... and MIWs will be laughing to the bank.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
If no COE, then what to regulate the car population? COE price high, is as a result of demand, enough Singaporeans still can afford it( whether 10 year loan or not).

The idea technically isn't wrong.
I believe this merits further study (how do other densely populated cities in other parts of the world regulate the car population?). Let's say, for purposes of discussion, there is no better way to regulate the car population other than the system of COE. In such a case, the money that the PAP government collects for COE should go back to the people in some way. Correct me if I am wrong or unaware: is the PAP government transparent on how the money collected from tax is used? Has this money gone back to ordinary citizens?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
as much as i sympathize with the less to do, imo, car ownership is a luxury.
we should all live within our means. our public transport is really good enough; not the best - still room for improvement - but good enough.

do not begrudge the car owners, they have earn it. about time you earn yours too if tat's your priority - dun ask the govt for help.
you like my signature pic below?

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

cars are a depreciating assets, the Singaporean idolatry of their cars borders on the absurd, it becomes an extension of their egos n is reflected by the lack of graciousness & the oblivious thoughtlessness of many drivers.

every weekend, I see ppl preening over/detailing his/her car for hours on end : wasted time.which if put to productive use they can very well change cars every three four years.

why waste time upkeeping/cleaning car, it can look like shit for all I care : I rather put time n effort into more important things in life n songzssssss

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
ilovechilired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
cars are a depreciating assets, the Singaporean idolatry of their cars borders on the absurd, it becomes an extension of their egos n is reflected by the lack of graciousness & the oblivious thoughtlessness of many drivers.

every weekend, I see ppl preening over/detailing his/her car for hours on end : wasted time.which if put to productive use they can very well change cars every three four years.

why waste time upkeeping/cleaning car, it can look like shit for all I care : I rather put time n effort into more important things in life n songzssssss
something which we should learn from our neighbours..

my SIL in kelantan only washes her car once a yr.. rest of the time its just used for ferry her kids and going marketing.. den park liao, 13 yrs ago i went, they were driving the cefiro, 13 yrs later.. the cefiro still there.. to them its just a form of transport.. dun need flashy, dun need work on it except normal maintenance..
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

the materialistic treadmill : lemmings conned into chasing the 5Cs, so that economy can be churned n ppl in debt to their loans can be enslaved.

carry on. huat arh!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
jwhtan
Barney

Cars are not assets. They are a liability.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
vic
Dragon

Quote:

Some ppl view cars as a lump of metal...only a form of transport..and they treat it as such.

Others view them as an art...state of art technologies combined to give u the ultimate machine. e.g. F1 cars. They enjoyed driving one. Every min on the road is an enjoyment.

We could say...some view a house as a roof over their head...nothing more while others treat it like their pride and joy.

Different pursue, different priorities in life.

With our current trend of COE...many ppl will be looking to keep their cars beyond 10 yrs. Common sense will tell us...in order to fetch a good 2nd hand price or drive beyond the decade...maintainance is essiental. For us its a matter of bread and butter. How many of us can change cars every few yrs??

Malaysia cars are cheap....drive few yrs dump them. If only Spore is like that.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
it becomes an extension of their egos n is reflected by the lack of graciousness & the oblivious thoughtlessness of many drivers.
Right on the nail! Everyday, I see big egos on the road travelling in different brand, capacity, size and colours.
I notice current driving habit, following closely on highway but keeping a car/lorry length at traffic light. Is this a new highway code?
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote