Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 12-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
globalcookie
Dragon

Default There Is No Poor People In Singapore

That's the impression we used to believe. There's no beggar, no homeless people, there is a particular Lee Xian Lang said smthg abt a home for every Singaporean.

I was walking along Tras St towards Enggor St to get my car before midnight, when a middle age tall man approached me with an elder lady. He asked me if I could give them a meal, from 7-11 will do. They didn't ask for money, but just a meal.

After getting them 2 packs of hot fried rice from e mamak off Lim Teck Kim Rd, I had a brief conversation with the man. I didn't want to probe why he and his mother is homeless. I only asked him if he had approached the authorities for some assistance.

He said he had approached the MP and will meet the MP again next friday. Till then, they are homeless, sleeping in some staircase landing or bench around e HDB area there. I told him to approach the RC or something, so perhaps they can assist them a little bit.

I like to ask, those around this area in the coming days, keep a look out for a worn out looking middle age tall man (at least 1.75m) with an elder lady (his mother). Off them some hot food and drinks. Help them tide over these few days till they do get some help from the authorities. Let's do a little we can, please.

All the big gala charity events and giving money here and there... nothing beats helping someone in real dire straits.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
Ben
Dragon

hats off to you bro. need more good people like you around
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
kheldor
Arofanatic

Bro near Amara? I stay near there can help abit.
kheldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
globalcookie
Dragon

Yes bro Amara.

It's heart wrenching to see grown man and aged lady cry. The man has some illness ,not sure what it was. He pointed to his head and said e medical term. Educated man.

He lost his job nd couldn't keep up w his mortgage. As he said these words, tears flow..."Singapore is a scary place".

I like to say. Alone, I can only help this much. If more individuals whom chance upon them gives them a couple of meals too, at least we help them a little each day till they get real help. I really hope, that Lee person's words of a home and no one gets left behind, is true and his name is not gg to be Lee Xian Lang (bluff ppl)
Old 12-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
kheldor
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Yes bro Amara.

It's heart wrenching to see grown man and aged lady cry. The man has some illness ,not sure what it was. He pointed to his head and said e medical term. Educated man.

He lost his job nd couldn't keep up w his mortgage. As he said these words, tears flow..."Singapore is a scary place".

I like to say. Alone, I can only help this much. If more individuals whom chance upon them gives them a couple of meals too, at least we help them a little each day till they get real help. I really hope, that Lee person's words of a home and no one gets left behind, is true and his name is not gg to be Lee Xian Lang (bluff ppl)

Ok noted. His father our MP lei.....
Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
aromatix
Dragon

Well done bro GC! It takes one to make many. Change starts wif the man in the mirror.
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
globalcookie
Dragon

Fellow bros, if you are around and chanced upon this 2 persons, please help to advise them:
- Approach the nearest CC (community centers) for some ComCare assistance
- CC can probably help them arrg with CDC to provide them immediate temporary shelter
- Direct them to approach CDC. CDC as below, page 76
http://www.ncss.org.sg/documents/assistanceschemes.pdf

I will go around the area later this evening and see if I can spot them. Have printed out Pg 76, 77, 78 and will see if there is any immediate assistance the gov can render to them.

I think the MP that he approached FAILED!!!! As he said, the MP asked him to return next Fri and see if MP can arrg temporary shelter. Why ONE WEEK? Why can't the MP get his assistants to arrg immediately or tell them to return the very next day?

Anyway this is only one sided story, we don't know if they got into this plight themselves or they are geniune case. However, I like to keep an open mind and do the very little I can to reduce their suffering for now.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
kenza
Senior Dragon

Really felt sorry for the mother and son esp CNY around the corner.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
kheldor
Arofanatic

Bro globalcookie afternoon went can't find them.
Later going down again. Told my wife and mother inlaw about it. They say when see them will help them.
Tanjong Pagar Community Club very near only.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

I think there's a video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=438324386296130
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote