Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 19-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
kskhonda

woah..v nice tank... a v natural environment for ur crabs n CPOs..hehe
Old 19-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
_kai_
Dragon

Thanks! I find they co exist well together as the crab never go into the water totally .
_kai_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

my crab didnt eat for 2 week already D: keep drinking water! this morning i added a carrot and they eat! finally i didnt know they dont like pellet :/
Bigfoot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
glaerey

good to know there are some crabbies here!
just to share mine.

got them from a good friend.
eating pellets.
are there more variations of vamps other than these yellow eyed guys? how to get them to breed. its not easy to id the gender btw due to the small size. any advices will be good.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
lucas_1957
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaerey View Post
good to know there are some crabbies here!
just to share mine.

got them from a good friend.
eating pellets.
are there more variations of vamps other than these yellow eyed guys? how to get them to breed. its not easy to id the gender btw due to the small size. any advices will be good.
Hi friend, your setup might be too small for more than one vampire crab (i see at least 2 inside the bowl?) as they are rather territorial and need more space to avoid fights and injuries. In addition, i hope the leaves are not touching the edge of the bowl, otherwise the crabs might escape that way.

There are more variations of these guys, there are blue vampire crabs, fully orange ones, red back ones, and cream back ones.

To tell the gender, look at the ventral section of the crab. If it has a wide pleon (the flap on the belly), it is a female, if it has a narrow pleon, it is a male.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
glaerey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_1957 View Post
Hi friend, your setup might be too small for more than one vampire crab (i see at least 2 inside the bowl?) as they are rather territorial and need more space to avoid fights and injuries. In addition, i hope the leaves are not touching the edge of the bowl, otherwise the crabs might escape that way.

There are more variations of these guys, there are blue vampire crabs, fully orange ones, red back ones, and cream back ones.

To tell the gender, look at the ventral section of the crab. If it has a wide pleon (the flap on the belly), it is a female, if it has a narrow pleon, it is a male.
Thanks for the kind advise, bro. u have sharp eyes and there are indeed 2 of them. Im keeping them in my office hence cannot have big tank

btw, do u have pictures on those variations and know where to get them?

gender wise same like normal crab right, but i had a hard time looking due to their small size and my eyes not good also lah
Old 28-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
lucas_1957
Dragon

Cream coloured one:

Red back one:

Source:http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...b_RedDevil.jpg

Fully orange one:

Blue back one:

The first two can readily be found in LFSs, availability depends on when the shipment arrives

The third one used to be sold many years ago, only one shipment came, and i havent seen it since.

The last one was never sold in Singapore.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
lucas_1957
Dragon

Hmm, i realise the 2nd photo couldnt be opened, here is another photo.

Source: http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server48....1280.1280.jpg
Old 28-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Maybe can try a rainbar to spray water across a larger surface for the moss and add a background to hide the tubing?
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
_kai_
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
Maybe can try a rainbar to spray water across a larger surface for the moss and add a background to hide the tubing?
Thats a good idea! However it maybdisrupt my sandbed. Actually theres a mist brand called mistking, i use it for my plants. Just tought i'd mention it here incase ppl are interested. Its quite pricey but its reliable and the mist produced is very fine and nice.
_kai_ is offline   Reply With Quote