Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

not going for 8 gold, but mixture of gold, red and white and yes... 1 black.
feng shui wise... it's actually in the middle of my living room leaning against 1 side of the wall to "divide" my living room into 2

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
FrozenDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDuck View Post
I'm planning on light feeding 3 times daily at juvenile, with a timer, reduce to twice after it's bigger few months later. saw this article on feeding at 10% of their weight

Bro, your concept not very right leh. its like feeding teenager with baby food but lesser as they grow bigger.

its either you reduce the bio load or get a bigger tank.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
Bro, your concept not very right leh. its like feeding teenager with baby food but lesser as they grow bigger.

its either you reduce the bio load or get a bigger tank.
am I right to say that that article that I read is wrong? what's the recommended feeding regime for juvenile gf? I've never really kept "fish" before, mostly shrimps and planted tank previously so I'm not very clear about this also

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Heuer
Dragon

not sure which article you referring to but keeping goldfish is very different from keep tetras. they are very sensitive to water quality.

you need to be very hardworking in water change if you really want to keep goldfish.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

this, I'm aware, for water perimeters, I can still keep up, so far my fire red stop dying and started breeding in my 1ft, even though they have different requirements, I suppose I can keep the parameters stable in a bigger tank somehow... will do daily test in future, but planning to find out more before setting up to get on right track

Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
SKG

Bro, welcome to the world of GF. Let me share with you my experience who having almost similar tank size as yours.

The maximum period for me to maintain more than 4 GFs is less than 5 months over a 3 years period. I have to settle with 4 GFs (2xSVR and 2xRyukin) for now unless I upgrade the tank size.

I feed 3 times a day and do 80% WC 1 or 2 times per week depend on the water conditions.

Cheers
Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
jenson
Arofanatic

Bro FrozenDuck,

My experince of overstocking told me 9 in a 3 feet is a no-no, but if your filtration is good, maybe can prolong the WC, but the fish probably won't grow that well.

One indicator to see whether bioload to high is cloudy water, if your water get cloudy very fast right after a recent WC, chances are the bioload is high. Another is whether the bubbles floating on the water surface last very long before they burst. If so, the bioload could be high too, as there's huge amount of ammonia in your tank water.

And yes, you're right, wider floor area, more towards squarish rather than long rectangular tank, keep better goldfishes, as it promotes better aeration to the fishes inside the tank, so as to encourage oxygen exchange between the air and the tank water. As well as increasing the amount of oxygen in your tank water.

If all your goldfishes are very young and small size, you still can keep them in your 3 feet without any problems, but like I said, once they started growing bigger and bigger, you would need to upgrade your tank, or give out some of your fishes to reduce the bioload.

Or you can separate the excess into another tank, so you will have 2 tanks of goldfishes

Jenson
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

thanks for all the input, I guess the safe number would be 4-5? what about oranda? is the stocking ratio the same as ranchu?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
jenson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDuck View Post
thanks for all the input, I guess the safe number would be 4-5? what about oranda? is the stocking ratio the same as ranchu?

I would say same.
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

what about the type of filtration? initially I'm thinking of sump, but recently I got my eyes on a 3x1.5x2 braceless tank and I can't use the ohf planned