Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
jenson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDuck View Post
what about the type of filtration? initially I'm thinking of sump, but recently I got my eyes on a 3x1.5x2 braceless tank and I can't use the ohf planned

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Bro FrozenDuck, there are a lot of discussion talking about filtration types here and some actually talk about the filtration for goldfishes too. Each has its pros and cons, just like some bros prefer to do 100% WC regularly while some use filtration. To put it simple, OHF for easy maintenance, if you have those stackable with bio mediums inside basically about the same like sump, just that sump provide additional reservoir means you basically have more water for your fishes.

Some bros even go to the extend to have pre filter setup before the actual filtration system.

A lot of combination to play around, main thing is to control the current created by your filtration as strong water current will put your fishes under great stress. And filtration sometimes got to do with your lifestyle too. But all the filtration in place doesn't mean can prolong WC you still need to monitor your fishes and the water parameter and to change the water as and when required.

Hope more experienced hobbyists here can help you more on filtration.
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

i got a 4x1.5x2' tank coming on 6feb.

volume: 324l/89.7gal, will stocking 9 be ok? Planning to use OHF with a 3000l/hr pump and also got a small "reactor" with 500ml k1 running on air pump, another "reactor" with 1l seachem de-nitrate running on 200l/hr pump. How does it look?

Water change regime will be 30-50% water weekly
FrozenDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #23
frankloh
Arofanatic

Quote:
i got a 4x1.5x2' tank coming on 6feb.

volume: 324l/89.7gal, will stocking 9 be ok? Planning to use OHF with a 3000l/hr pump and also got a small "reactor" with 500ml k1 running on air pump, another "reactor" with 1l seachem de-nitrate running on 200l/hr pump. How does it look?

Water change regime will be 30-50% water weekly
Why not get a nitrate tester to decide on your WC regime?
Ideally nitrate level to be below 40 to 60ppm.....you will learn that 30% water change is not enough.

Preferrably 100% every 5 days based on you stocking level.
frankloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

got a master test kit, tank not in yet, so now I'm still at planning stage, once tank is in, I'll seed new tank with media from existing tank to speed up process.

Old 21-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

An update and need some advice:

Currently running 322 tank with sump, wc 1 big pail every other day, change wool once every other day (shortly after wc usually). No poop found on wool, but somehow, the wool is dark brownish and close to black. Is the wc regime enough? or need to do more wc?

Another thing, while enjoying the view this morning, i noticed that 1 of the biggest ranchu love to "sniff" around my other gf butt (back of tail), is it normal or is that some abnormal habits?
Old 21-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #26
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
An update and need some advice:

Currently running 322 tank with sump, wc 1 big pail every other day, change wool once every other day (shortly after wc usually). No poop found on wool, but somehow, the wool is dark brownish and close to black. Is the wc regime enough? or need to do more wc?

Another thing, while enjoying the view this morning, i noticed that 1 of the biggest ranchu love to "sniff" around my other gf butt (back of tail), is it normal or is that some abnormal habits?
1 big pail is very subjective. use % will be better for us to comprehend.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #27
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

I'll say... 10-20% of tank volume excluding sump

Old 21-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #28
Heuer
Dragon

very much depending on how much you feed but even if you feed lightly, with your heavy bio load, I would think 50% daily WC. do look out of the water quality. are the air bubbles taking longer to burst?

It will be great if you can upload a pic of your tank so that we can see the size of your fish.
Old 22-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #29
FrozenDuck
Arofanatic

full tank shot.

my favorite, odd bar clown loach

ignore the hand at the other side of the tank

biggest ranchu with white mustache, around... 3" I think.

Old 22-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #30
Heuer
Dragon

tks for the picture. looks like your gf are still very small and you have a very unique combination of other fishes too.

how often do you feed your gf per day?
how long have you been keep them and are they growing?

do you measure the water pH? from my experience of using filter (OHF), pH can drop to as low as 5 if you don't use buffer.