Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #121
chilicrabz
Dragon

Some updates after so long @ Day 30.

Unfortunately, i have left with a balance of 5 wrigglers, out of the 10 that i had at Day 20. It seems like a sudden death, where there are not much movement in the water parameter. Possibly that they are the weaker ones that did not managed to survive, given that my air pump stop functioning on Day 3 that causes 50% of the eggs to be wipe out.

They have start their solid food feeding in Day 24, feeding on Hikari micro wafer. So far, their response to the food is very good and they are not shy to come out in the open to eat, shown in the video below:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Moreover, i have added a small piece of dw and some moss for them to play around. Not only they get to hid under the DW, they get to eat on some of the micro-organism too. I am happy that i could see small strings of shits coming out from them. At least to show that they are healthy.

In the mean time, i'm preparing for Round 2, with only the parents inside the tank, with their kids on the floating hatchery. The female started to get rounder and rounder and the Dad started to get quite aggressive towards her.Trying his luck to force her into the 3.5 x 3.5 x 10inch cave, but it's always unsuccessful. She will tend to hid behind the cave.

During wc every 5days at about 20% or lesser, i will add a pack of ice cubes into the tank, to bring down the temperature. That was how they spawn 1 month ago and i am trying it regularly to trigger their instinct to spawn again. But as of now, the female is not quite ready yet. So may have to wait for another week or two.

Will update again every fortnight and thanks for reading.
chilicrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #122
chilicrabz
Dragon

Some updates again @ Day 45

I still have a balance of 5 babies since the last update. They should have grown slightly bigger than last time. Took them out for a photography session, and well, they are 2cm to be exact.

I do notice that their tail are not straight. All seems to have a slight bent. Is that normal for babies or they are all deformed??
Old 16-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #123
chilicrabz
Dragon

It seems that they get easily stress, even i transferred them into another container for a photo shoot. Their colour changed from dark grey till yellow, some even shows a pale white colour. Some does not change much, still remains that their original greyish black.

I am wandering, given that the DAD is of yellow coloration, and the MUM is a blackie. Whats the % of these 5 babies does follows the DAD's genes.
Although it was stated as a spinosus spawn, I'm sure that DAD is not a normal spinosus (L160). The colour is too hard to believe. Neither can it be a L96, where there aren't any orange-traits on the tail. Could it be a L375???

I remembered when Ingo Seidel came visiting during the Aquarama, I spoke to him and share with him regarding my views on the spinosus that he wrote on inside his book. When i ask him about the difference between a spinosus and a L375, he mentioned that although they may looks the same, yet the spots markings are different.

Indeed, Spinosus have a regular round spots that covers the whole body, while a L375 have a irregular spottings where it can be round but also in a worm-line wriggly shape. Planetcatfish only have 1 pic of L375 and if i use it as a reference, Dad really don't looks like him either. Neither can it be a spinosus.

So guys, what's your views??
Is Dad a spinosus or is he a L375, although it came in as a L160.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #124
TS70
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicrabz View Post
It seems that they get easily stress, even i transferred them into another container for a photo shoot. Their colour changed from dark grey till yellow, some even shows a pale white colour. Some does not change much, still remains that their original greyish black.

I am wandering, given that the DAD is of yellow coloration, and the MUM is a blackie. Whats the % of these 5 babies does follows the DAD's genes.
Although it was stated as a spinosus spawn, I'm sure that DAD is not a normal spinosus (L160). The colour is too hard to believe. Neither can it be a L96, where there aren't any orange-traits on the tail. Could it be a L375???

I remembered when Ingo Seidel came visiting during the Aquarama, I spoke to him and share with him regarding my views on the spinosus that he wrote on inside his book. When i ask him about the difference between a spinosus and a L375, he mentioned that although they may looks the same, yet the spots markings are different.

Indeed, Spinosus have a regular round spots that covers the whole body, while a L375 have a irregular spottings where it can be round but also in a worm-line wriggly shape. Planetcatfish only have 1 pic of L375 and if i use it as a reference, Dad really don't looks like him either. Neither can it be a spinosus.

So guys, what's your views??
Is Dad a spinosus or is he a L375, although it came in as a L160.

could be 375. remembered that pc from me doesn't have spots, instead it has wormline kinda patterns.

oh yes...the 'MUM' is not a blackie...at least when its in my tank
TS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #125
canopy
Dragon

any updates?
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #126
chilicrabz
Dragon

Some Updates @ Day 60:

No casualty so far. 5 still remains.
However, since the last post, their length still remains the same at 2cm. I was hoping for it to reach 2.5cm, 1 inch. Yet, so far not much progress.

On the other hand, the parents seems to have their factory stop working. Although now the mum seems ready with her round tummy, there are no actions from the both of them.

Dad seems to be contents with the environment that he seems can't be bothered caving. He is always spotted at the side of the cave and mum is always at the other side of the cave.
They seems to have "divorce" after their 1st spawn. I was told that an average waiting time for the next spawn, would be a month later. Now, it's already two..something seems not right. Mum seems reluctant to get close to the Dad and she seems avoiding him, from his line of sight.

Is she not ready or the problem lies with the Dad?

Last week, i introduce his ex-girlfriend into their life. Dad is very interested, so do the Mum. She kept picking on her and they have a serious catfight. She might be telling her that: Hey, get out of our life."
Dad seems too actively trying to trap her, but with his wife around, she does not seems interested to take any chance.

My intention was to trigger the Mum to be active again, after all they were there on the 1st night before the mum spawn. But it seems that, this don't work at all. Seeing the ex-girlfriend suffering from quite a fair bit of torns and scratch, I decided to move her out.

So now is the question: How can i get them sexually active again??

Should i put another smaller male inside to trigger Dad to cave or "another pair" to trigger the both of them??
Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 AM   #127
chilicrabz
Dragon

Some pics that shows how the whole event took place when his ex-girlfriend enters their life.

That's how she looks, round and ready.
Her markings somehow seems to have "morphed" after sufferings from multiple bite marks in the bigger tank. It's supposed to have clearly visible vertical strips instead of the usual round spots markings of any other spinosus.

The "cat fight" that took place immediately after confrontation. Dad just simply wait for the right opportunity to trap anyone of them.

Will update again on 16th August with more pics of the fries and any outcomes with the parents.
Old 16-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #128
chilicrabz
Dragon

Updates @ Day 75

Exactly a month ago, at Day 45, all were at 2cm TL when i took them for a photography session. Today, 3 of them reach 2.5cm TL (1inch) since birth. However, the remaining 2 seems to be stuck at 2 cm or 2.25cm. These growth rate are extremely slower than the trio.

Furthermore, at close range, i will noticed that their body markings have somehow developed and they are irregular with one another. None of the 5 pieces looks the same to one another.
Strange....

I'm hoping they remains different with one another as days comes. In the meanwhile,the parents does not have any action going on. The female has her stomach round again, however, the male does not seems ready to cave. He is always at the other side of the cave. Sometimes, it does occupy the cave for a few moments, but most of the time, he will be spotted apart from the female

Here are some pics of the 5 siblings, notice their different markings:

Continued.............
Old 16-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #129
chilicrabz
Dragon

Continue.......
Old 16-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #130
chilicrabz
Dragon

Last fries: