Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
nasty12
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuoyuting View Post
Using hydrogen peroxyde....

I have a similar problem every once in a while. I have a trick, but I've only used it on small patches as soon as they appear. I would not recomend this if you have lots of algea. AT ALL!!!

Simply get a seringe (with no needle) and some hydrogen peroxyde. For a patch the size of a penny, fill the seringe with 4-5cc of 3% (10 volume) peroxide (the standar stuff you probably already have at home with the band-aids) and put the tip of the seringe directly in the center of the patch of algea and "pump" 0.2-0.3cc into the algea patch, then place the seringe a few milimeters next to the spot you just "injected" and "pump" another 0.2-0.3cc there. Repeat untill you've pretty much "injected" the whole patch with peroxide. You'll see a lot of small bubbles and the next day, the patch of BBA should change colors. After a couple of days, the BBA patch/clump should be gone.

I've done this 3-4 times in the last 3-4 years. It works great and I did not harm my fish. They actually seem to "play" in the small bubbles. Some of the plants right next to the injected spot did "melt" or turn yellow a little, but they recoverd quickly. I've used it next to java moss and rotalas without problems. I've read that some plants are particularly sensitive to H202, so keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, I've also noticed that BBA tends to grow in places where water circulation is low (dead spots in the corners of the tank for example). Increasing the water flow in problem areas (with a small power head for example) may help prevent the BBA from coming back. I've also noticed that high phosphate levels along with low nitrogen levels seem to increase the production of BBA (or was it low phosphate and high nitrogen... I can't remember).

I do not work for Seachem and I'm pretty certain that they do not encourage the use of peroxide to treat low levels of BBA, but it works for me.
the idea of using seachem excel for algae issues is not dosing but to do "spot killing" it is the same as using hydrogen peroxide! also manually picking the BBA from the roots.
I ever encounter the same problem with you. ( i have a while tank of mini fissiden) and treated as what i did..

i did try to increase the Flow with another canister filter but it grew somewhere else

really irritating algae!
nasty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
nasty12
Arofanatic

(if im not wrong 1 of the ingredients for seachem excel contains a very small % of bleach or smiliar thats why it is able to "kill" it)

also if you are doing this method please off your filter while doing the spot killing and add active carbon after

i
nasty12 is offline   Reply With Quote