Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 27-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
satan_gal
Dragon

Default In 5 years, green arrow when making a right turn at major roads

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...dents-10179174

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will install red-amber-green arrows in as many of the 1,600 traffic junctions as possible in the coming years.

This means motorists will have to wait for the arrow to turn green before making a right turn. There have been suggestions in recent days for authorities to do away with the "discretionary" right turn, following two fatal accidents at traffic junctions.

"In five years, the vast majority of traffic junctions will have red-amber-green (RAG) arrows," said Mr Chandrasekar, LTA's group director of traffic and road operations on Thursday (Apr 26).

"Where it is not feasible to implement RAG arrows, LTA will look into other features, such as turning pockets, lighted road studs, integrated pedestrian countdown timers, dashed pedestrian crossing lines and 'Give Way to Pedestrian' signs, to ensure safety and smooth traffic flow," he said.

So far, red-amber-green arrows are in place at 200 junctions.

The two fatal accidents earlier this month - in Clementi and Bukit Timah - both involved drivers colliding with oncoming vehicles while trying to turn right, prompting growing calls for the authorities to review the traffic light scheme at such junctions.

A petition on the matter has drawn more than 15,000 signatures in four days.

LTA said it is "saddened" by the fatal accidents and is working with the Traffic Police to conduct investigations.

The authority added that it carries out "regular reviews" to ensure that the roads are safe for motorists and pedestrians. Since 2015, it has identified 21 "black spots" or accident-prone locations, and enhanced their safety with a combination of measures like red-amber-green arrows, special signs or road markings.

However, Mr Chandrasekar urged motorists and pedestrians to "play their part" by exercising good road safety practices.

"For motorists, these include slowing down at junctions, signalling, and paying attention to changing road situations. Road users must observe traffic rules at all times, and exercise patience and care to ensure their own safety as well as that of others," he said.

"We thank readers and the public for their suggestions on how safety can be further enhanced at right turn junctions."

The "black spots" identified by LTA are:

In 2015

1. Victoria St/Rochor Rd (Jct)

2. Lentor Ave/Yio Chu Kang Rd (Jct)

3. Jurong West Ave 1/Corporation Rd (jct)

4. Balestier Rd/Serangoon Rd/Lavender St (Jct)

5. Geylang Rd (between Lor 24 to Aljunied Rd/Lor 22)

6. Serangoon Rd (between Balestier Rd/Lavender St to Towner Rd/Boon Keng Rd)

In 2017

1. AYE (ECP) near Clementi Ave 2

2. ECP (AYE) near Still Rd South

3. BKE (PIE) near KJE

4. BKE (Woodlands) near KJE

5. BKE (Woodlands) near SLE

6. BKE (Woodlands) near Woodlands Ave 3

7. BKE (Woodlands) before Woodlands Centre Rd

8. KJE (PIE) near Brickland Rd

9. CTE (City) near Braddell Rd

10. CTE (City) near Balestier Rd

11. TPE (PIE) near Tampines flyover

12. SLE (BKE) near Mandai Rd

13. SLE (BKE) at Upp Seletar flyover

14. SLE (CTE) near Lentor Ave

15. SLE (CTE) near Mandai Rd
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Still see ppl use their own discretion when at junctions with these arrows.
I tapped my horn once to this guy doing a U turn at red arrow, kena killer stare and finger.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
Still see ppl use their own discretion when at junctions with these arrows.
I tapped my horn once to this guy doing a U turn at red arrow, kena killer stare and finger.
We can have a good system.......but the people must use it the right way.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #4
millenium
Senior Dragon

Amber light means slow down and ready to stop. I paid $400 fine and $200 corrective course to understand this.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
globalcookie
Dragon

- Last time no directional arrow, not so much big issues.
- Many right turns into side roads or entering a compound, also no directional arrows... not so much big issues.

SUDDENLY, 2 accidents over couple of days, everything changed. Is it drivers attitude or is it really so much distractions?

Whoever was in the wrong in both accidents, just jail them la!

Last edited by globalcookie; 29-04-2018 at 12:06 AM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
- Last time no directional arrow, not so much big issues.
- Many right turns into side roads or entering a compound, also no directional arrows... not so much big issues.

SUDDENLY, 2 accidents over couple of days, everything changed. Is it drivers attitude or is it really so much distractions?

Whoever was in the wrong in both accidents, just jail them la!
I'm thinkin along the same line as you...

past 30 years no such issues. Now.. suddenly all the KK drivers everywhere
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Just now almost kena big time from one of these KK drivers.
2 way single lane with one side closed. Portable traffic light in place yet this KK lady still can beat it and meet me head on. Jam up the whole place. Heng bo tai ji
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #8
globalcookie
Dragon

Its undeniable that it's not as undistracting to drive these days as it used to be.

Last time, reverse parking was more a breeze. There were lesser idiots around than there are today. Pedestrians were less inconsiderate, less obsessed w hp, etc. These days, when I reverse, I'm not as confide t as I used to be.

If we look at a few quite recent accidents, some may have seen videos, there was a senior guy who was knocked down by a reversing taxi, and a student knocked and sent flying when she was crossing e road.

For the guy knocked down by taxi, he didn't even check both directions.

Are ppl getting too stupid? Goodness... since when do we look only 1 direction when crossing e road? Even in single direction roads, I look both ways.

And when u give way to let pedestrians to cross, what happens? Models doing cat walk or window shoppers taking their own sweet time. For goodness.... and not forgetting PMD users who seeks death. Go elsewhere and die. They dont need to be around but dont traumatize and victimized others
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Yep. Mobile engrossed pedestrians, cyclists and scooters/escooters all seem to be thinking they’re the only road users out there.
Especially those escooters gangs with motorbike helmets. Lots of them around my place.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Euphonlst
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
Yep. Mobile engrossed pedestrians, cyclists and scooters/escooters all seem to be thinking they’re the only road users out there.
Especially those escooters gangs with motorbike helmets. Lots of them around my place.
Think those pedestrain need to wear armor shield as their impact is more than those escooter riders.
Euphonlst is offline   Reply With Quote