Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 23-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
kuants

Default pineapple tart container

Hey I'm sure some of you use them to seperate pregnant guppies? How do you prepare the water in them? Had a casualty today after I put one of my endler guppy mum in one yesterday.

Don't know what was wrong in my preparation of the water.

I filled my 20cm tall tart container with 4/5 water.

The water is 1/2 from the guppy's old tank water and 1/2 tap water treated with GENESIS(anti-chlorine,chloramine).

Left the water to stand for 2,3 hours.

Throw in some hornwarts and one used ceramic ring full of brown stuff(thought it might help in getting off excess ammonia, I did that with my fries last time and it turned out fine).

I was thinking maybe I made some kind of newbie mistake by filling the container with too much water so that the surface area to volume ratio is too small resulting in oxygen deficiency or something. Can someone point out any mistakes so I wont make it again.
Old 23-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
EtErNiTy
Dragon

i try using this method now to rear 4 guppy in a pineapple tart contanier but still survive =)
sometime is no choice one bro
but i find that endler is more prom to stress so becareful on that coz i rearing tiger endler now.
and they need more water change than my normal guppies too after rearing for few month.If i don change 1 by 1 will staart dieing off
EtErNiTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
kuants

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtErNiTy View Post
i try using this method now to rear 4 guppy in a pineapple tart contanier but still survive =)
sometime is no choice one bro
but i find that endler is more prom to stress so becareful on that coz i rearing tiger endler now.
and they need more water change than my normal guppies too after rearing for few month.If i don change 1 by 1 will staart dieing off
ooh how full do u fill ur pineapple tart container? or does it not matter? Because i kind of think i put too much hornwarts and it kind of covered the whole surface resulting in lack of air.
Old 24-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuants View Post
Hey I'm sure some of you use them to seperate pregnant guppies? How do you prepare the water in them? Had a casualty today after I put one of my endler guppy mum in one yesterday.

Don't know what was wrong in my preparation of the water.

I filled my 20cm tall tart container with 4/5 water.

The water is 1/2 from the guppy's old tank water and 1/2 tap water treated with GENESIS(anti-chlorine,chloramine).

Left the water to stand for 2,3 hours.

Throw in some hornwarts and one used ceramic ring full of brown stuff(thought it might help in getting off excess ammonia, I did that with my fries last time and it turned out fine).

I was thinking maybe I made some kind of newbie mistake by filling the container with too much water so that the surface area to volume ratio is too small resulting in oxygen deficiency or something. Can someone point out any mistakes so I wont make it again.
If you used the container which had pineapple tarts in them, you would have to use soap to clean it before use. Oil and soap are not good for fishes. There could be traces of the soap still present in the container. Why don't you use non-food container, e.g. new plastic ones.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
kebab7
Endangered Dragon

well you can buy the containers that have not been "contaminated" by food before
kebab7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
cheekyaf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeHuat View Post
If you used the container which had pineapple tarts in them, you would have to use soap to clean it before use. Oil and soap are not good for fishes. There could be traces of the soap still present in the container. Why don't you use non-food container, e.g. new plastic ones.
New plastic containers cost abt less then $1.60/each. Buying a container is definitely better than trying to save a few cents in exchange of the lives of your beloved guppies, right ?
cheekyaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
yoshimura11

i used to do it too... wanted a whole birth to be together to maintain the colour of the fishes. for mine, i fill them up 1/2 with old tank water, 1/4 new water and a bit of moss... but... most time, the mum bungee... i dunno why...

always thought its bcos they are not used to the move from a semi D into a rented room...