Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 23-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
sebarau
Dragon

Blue kelah is found in Thailand... the green and the red variaty is found in deep clean mountain river in Malaysia.. will cost you at least SGD60 for 4" fry.. I'm still looking for the red for few month already all over in KL LFS..not found yet..
sebarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
phee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
Blue kelah is found in Thailand... the green and the red variaty is found in deep clean mountain river in Malaysia.. will cost you at least SGD60 for 4" fry.. I'm still looking for the red for few month already all over in KL LFS..not found yet..
Hmm a pricely fish
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
The blue ones are also found up in India mountains where the famed huge golden mahseers are. I think Thailand are quite rare to get Blue Kelahs due to it's ecosystem health these days. Lately India has susccessfully breeded these species in captivity and i believe some are making their way here if only LFS wants them and if there is enough demand here for takeup of course.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #14
joeboy
Dragon

Blue kelah. Seaview has it bt price wise quite X. Rare species, same goes to red kelahs. Commonly found at lfs is the green kelahs.
Correct me if i wrong.
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 AM   #15
FishyAmazon

here you go with one of my cute kelah squabble clip
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
bully

wat about those with a black horizontal stripe in the middle of the body? Looks quite similar...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #17
FishyAmazon

Those with black horizontal stripe are commonly known as blue kelah. They are also known as golden mahseers. I believe they are the only species of the 7 or so that has the trade mark black stripe so its very hard to be mistaken.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #18
bully

Thanks for clarifying, will slowly learn more abt them.
Abt the bioload they generate, I would think its quite substantial considering their diet
Old 16-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #19
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully View Post
Thanks for clarifying, will slowly learn more abt them.
Abt the bioload they generate, I would think its quite substantial considering their diet
These guys are super glutton. Very easy to catch SBP if you are not careful in feeding like most glutton fish. It will be a great companion for arowanas of about the same size as arowanas will be teased to swim with them as these fishes swim non-stop even after lights off
Old 16-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
chocolate
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab7 View Post
can catch them in the wild in malaysia streams
correct....caught 1 before.....
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote