Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #181
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaabi View Post
Today is a sad day, I lost in a gamble! All my AAs died as anticipated and I decided to overhaul my tank completely

I spent almost 3 hours scooping out the sand, and I poured a kettle of hot water to disinfect. Then I filled it up with water and chlorox, and allow the filter to run for the next 24 hours before draining. Hopefully I can be better prepare this time, I probably will drop into Gan Aquarium tomorrow and check it out. My friend was there last week and he got quite a number of healthy AAs, but the price is rather expensive $85 each; anyway better get my tank ready first before trying again.
If you're using chlorox, make sure all traces of it are gone and make sure your tank is properly cycled (the chlorox will kill all your beneficial bacteria) before even considering keeping altums in there. Unless you have a way to seed your filter, this usually means up to 6 weeks of cycling. Hopefully there will still be altums left by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FND View Post
Bro, I added your posting here I hope you don't mind.
No problem bro, thanks for adding it
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #182
FND

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
If you're using chlorox, make sure all traces of it are gone and make sure your tank is properly cycled (the chlorox will kill all your beneficial bacteria) before even considering keeping altums in there. Unless you have a way to seed your filter, this usually means up to 6 weeks of cycling. Hopefully there will still be altums left by then.
You may request your preferred LFS to "house" your altums, with top up service fee, if you wish, while you cycle you tank. Just a suggestion.