Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 20-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Nice shoal...

Get 100pcs hastatus and put inside your discus tank... Even stunning....
Thanks bro! I newbie leh... They wouldn't become expensive feeders is it... I got AA inside also leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniel_C View Post
Great looking pieces over there! Nice and clean scape!
Thanks... Well, not much of a pre planned scape. Supposed to be an apisto tank, apisto died became AA quarantine tank, qt finish now turn into Pygmy tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
Very nice Cedric! You need more!
You add I add.
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
Joop
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
Thanks bro! I newbie leh... They wouldn't become expensive feeders is it... I got AA inside also leh.

Thanks... Well, not much of a pre planned scape. Supposed to be an apisto tank, apisto died became AA quarantine tank, qt finish now turn into Pygmy tank!

You add I add.
Walua.... I thought u have pleco tank at the other corner also?
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #33
Morbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohao View Post
To be extremely honest n brutally blunt, I find Pleco not cute looking at all.

*running away before all zapping thunder strike by Pleco owners *
every female (human) that has come to my house has expressed that exact same sentiment. so you are definite not alone. I think pleco appreciate is a very 'guy' thing. lol! I guess it's because plecos don't look pretty, but look tough (armoured catfish after all, eh?)
Old 21-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #34
Morbus

my goodness, that post was riddled with spelling errors. lol!

Anyway, I've just moved my corys into their new tank today. My old 150 litre tank broke. Came back from work to see half the water on the floor and the corys just barely covered in a thin layer of water. Got a new 250 litre tank and transferred them in after a quick cycle. It's looking really nice so I'll post some pics when the corys are more settled in XD
Old 22-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
DAniel_C
Dragon

Default Waste of money

Just bought the two little fellas (L46 slightly over an inch) back home this weekend and got them two ceramic caves, thinking that they need sufficient hiding space. Had released them into the tank last night with the duplicareus. Instead of hiding into the enormous M sized tank, they hid by one of the cave adjoin to the friftwood that I have and into the seam of the said piece of wood.... What an utter waste of money.... Seems like they have found comfort with the driftwood rather than in the caves.

Just like bro morbus predicted that the newly intro L46 is not eating and hopefull it does start to eat and not starve itself to death... Any tips for feeding them? Thanks in advance.
DAniel_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #36
Morbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniel_C View Post
Just bought the two little fellas (L46 slightly over an inch) back home this weekend and got them two ceramic caves, thinking that they need sufficient hiding space. Had released them into the tank last night with the duplicareus. Instead of hiding into the enormous M sized tank, they hid by one of the cave adjoin to the friftwood that I have and into the seam of the said piece of wood.... What an utter waste of money.... Seems like they have found comfort with the driftwood rather than in the caves.

Just like bro morbus predicted that the newly intro L46 is not eating and hopefull it does start to eat and not starve itself to death... Any tips for feeding them? Thanks in advance.
That's exactly what L46 do. They see the world through fishy eyes, not our eyes, so they hide wherever they think looks the safest (which is never the cave that you've bought, until they are ready to spawn)

That's why my tank doesn't have caves anymore. Then again, I'm breeding the corys now. It's risk free unlike the breeding of zebras.

About your L46
1) You actually don't know that they aren't eating. Feed last thing before you go to bed.
2) Even if they aren't eating, they shouldn't starve themselves to death. Just be patient.
3) Only panic if they actually start getting really really sunken stomachs.

Old 23-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #37
DAniel_C
Dragon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbus View Post
That's exactly what L46 do. They see the world through fishy eyes, not our eyes, so they hide wherever they think looks the safest (which is never the cave that you've bought, until they are ready to spawn)

That's why my tank doesn't have caves anymore. Then again, I'm breeding the corys now. It's risk free unlike the breeding of zebras.

About your L46
1) You actually don't know that they aren't eating. Feed last thing before you go to bed.
2) Even if they aren't eating, they shouldn't starve themselves to death. Just be patient.
3) Only panic if they actually start getting really really sunken stomachs.

They are constantly hiding in the seams of the driftwood. Do I chase them out of the seams to check on their condition? I do pour abit of tetra bits before going to bed for the past two nights, however, as they are sharing the tank with the cories, I am quite certain there won't be much left for them (L46). I also have a mixture of diet for my cories usually which are the canivore sinking pellets and algae wafer (which I will pound till they are in smaller form) which the breeder used to feed them with. Do hopefully they start to intake food and roam around in the tank.

By the way they are also sharing the tank with a L204 which is easily a couple times larger, do they fight? Do share your experiences with me and thanks in advance!
Old 23-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
Morbus

They may look like they are always in one place, but I can assure you that they are not. They are just extremely good at remembering where their 'homes' are, and they like spending time at home.

Late at night, in the stillness of the night, they will crawl out and scavenge.

My tank is new now because my old one broke, and the two zebras there are sharing the tank with 25 corys. Given that it's new, the zebras are still acclimatising and are hiding in really awkward places, and the corys eat 'everything'.

I saw them behaving as scared zebras do, but really, when I glanced into the tank after a period of stillness (since my tank is in the living room), I saw the zebras that were supposed to be really scared and hiding at the bottom feeding with the corys. I approached the tank and they raced straight back to their homes.

Now, if that tank was anywhere else, I would never ever have seen that. Zebras are shy, but the thing that they fear the most is you. Not corys or anything else in the tank. Bear in mind my zebras are 3 inch and 4 inch respectively (the problem is amplified by many times with juveniles because 1) they are more shy and 2) they are smaller. That's why I hate dealing with juvenile zebras. Started off with them, but sold them away and never went back. Anyway that's a story for another day)

I just sold a pair of wc adult zebras to a guy who had been keeping a single juvenile zeb. He says he's never seen it come out, ever, except for once, but when the adults were introduced he came out to join them. I'm not suggesting you buy adult zebras purely for this purpose. I don't even believe him anyway. The point is that everyone's zebras hide, and yet I haven't known a single person who has had a zebra starve to death in a community tank. I know some people say its 'theoretically possible' online, but I've seen no evidence of this.

If it makes you feel better, when I had juvenile zebras in a non-community tank, I've never seen them eating once. Not once in the 6months I've had them. They were always in the caves. And when I clean the tank I'd find uneaten food stuck to the sides of the caves etc. And no, none of them died.

Your zebras have been in your tank how long? From the sounds of it less than a month. I won't be surprised if this behaviour carries on for another few months especially in a busy community tank. But just remember that food does go into crevices, even if they are in blocks because if you have corys, they break up the food into little tiny pieces and those scatter everywhere. This is probably what your zebra is eating. The fact that the zebra is hiding is actually a good thing. I'd be more worried if your zebra is out in the open and just swimming around during the day. For your circumstance, such latter behaviour usually means that your zebra will die soon. Some established adults do swim around the tank in the day.

You can chase the zebra out to check on its health if you're worried, but the zebra won't appreciate it, and doing so will just increase its fear and increase the length of acclimatising to the tank.

Have faith in your zebras. They are much, much hardier than corys, and certainly hardier than you think.
Old 23-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #39
DAniel_C
Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbus View Post
They may look like they are always in one place, but I can assure you that they are not. They are just extremely good at remembering where their 'homes' are, and they like spending time at home.

Late at night, in the stillness of the night, they will crawl out and scavenge.

My tank is new now because my old one broke, and the two zebras there are sharing the tank with 25 corys. Given that it's new, the zebras are still acclimatising and are hiding in really awkward places, and the corys eat 'everything'.

I saw them behaving as scared zebras do, but really, when I glanced into the tank after a period of stillness (since my tank is in the living room), I saw the zebras that were supposed to be really scared and hiding at the bottom feeding with the corys. I approached the tank and they raced straight back to their homes.

Now, if that tank was anywhere else, I would never ever have seen that. Zebras are shy, but the thing that they fear the most is you. Not corys or anything else in the tank. Bear in mind my zebras are 3 inch and 4 inch respectively (the problem is amplified by many times with juveniles because 1) they are more shy and 2) they are smaller. That's why I hate dealing with juvenile zebras. Started off with them, but sold them away and never went back. Anyway that's a story for another day)

I just sold a pair of wc adult zebras to a guy who had been keeping a single juvenile zeb. He says he's never seen it come out, ever, except for once, but when the adults were introduced he came out to join them. I'm not suggesting you buy adult zebras purely for this purpose. I don't even believe him anyway. The point is that everyone's zebras hide, and yet I haven't known a single person who has had a zebra starve to death in a community tank. I know some people say its 'theoretically possible' online, but I've seen no evidence of this.

If it makes you feel better, when I had juvenile zebras in a non-community tank, I've never seen them eating once. Not once in the 6months I've had them. They were always in the caves. And when I clean the tank I'd find uneaten food stuck to the sides of the caves etc. And no, none of them died.

Your zebras have been in your tank how long? From the sounds of it less than a month. I won't be surprised if this behaviour carries on for another few months especially in a busy community tank. But just remember that food does go into crevices, even if they are in blocks because if you have corys, they break up the food into little tiny pieces and those scatter everywhere. This is probably what your zebra is eating. The fact that the zebra is hiding is actually a good thing. I'd be more worried if your zebra is out in the open and just swimming around during the day. For your circumstance, such latter behaviour usually means that your zebra will die soon. Some established adults do swim around the tank in the day.

You can chase the zebra out to check on its health if you're worried, but the zebra won't appreciate it, and doing so will just increase its fear and increase the length of acclimatising to the tank.

Have faith in your zebras. They are much, much hardier than corys, and certainly hardier than you think.
It certainly is good to know that they are hardier than the cories and they eat, while in stealth mode. I probably won't chase them out of their comfort zone just to check on them but probably just observe them from their spot. Thanks for all the advice bro morbus!
Old 23-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
Morbus

no problem. I feel for you because I felt the same way 3 years ago. I still remember.

One thing I will say though is that if it's super busy, and you have juveniles, they will eat and survive, but they may not grow big. Just a heads up. If you want to fatten your L46s up, you need them in their own tank.

Yes, contrary to popular belief, fish and survive and stay small, and as such, size is not the best indicator of age (unless it's wildcaught)