Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #21
aropal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Thanks. Must consider How am I going to incorporate into my existing hood. Have you taken any pictures on your fishes using the solux? If so, can post some?
The new aquarium I have set up for my son has Solux bulbs running over the top if it.

I have two 35 watt 4.1K 36 degree bulbs in the hood. The bulbs are mounted in normal ‘flush set’ MR16 downlighters I just drilled four holes in the corners of an MR16 flush mounting plate and then screwed through that into my hood.

If you haven’t got a cover glass on your aquarium then you could get MR16 downlighter fittings for shower cubicles as they have a water proof glass front cover. The lights are 12 volt so it’s fairly safe in an aquarium setting.

The downlighter plates are mounted flush set to the hood. The back of the bulb sticks out of the top of the hood but is covered with a plastic vent so it doesn’t look horrible.

You’ll have to wait for fish pictures until my dealer gets my sons arowana, that I am to buy at the end of the month. I can arrange a few pictures of my cloudy cycling tank for what it’s worth but it might take a couple of days as I am without a digital camera.

I have a spare 50watt 36 degree 4.1K bulb. PM me your address and I’ll see how much it is to send it to you.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #22
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
The new aquarium I have set up for my son has Solux bulbs running over the top if it.

I have two 35 watt 4.1K 36 degree bulbs in the hood. The bulbs are mounted in normal ‘flush set’ MR16 downlighters I just drilled four holes in the corners of an MR16 flush mounting plate and then screwed through that into my hood.

If you haven’t got a cover glass on your aquarium then you could get MR16 downlighter fittings for shower cubicles as they have a water proof glass front cover. The lights are 12 volt so it’s fairly safe in an aquarium setting.

The downlighter plates are mounted flush set to the hood. The back of the bulb sticks out of the top of the hood but is covered with a plastic vent so it doesn’t look horrible.

You’ll have to wait for fish pictures until my dealer gets my sons arowana, that I am to buy at the end of the month. I can arrange a few pictures of my cloudy cycling tank for what it’s worth but it might take a couple of days as I am without a digital camera.

I have a spare 50watt 36 degree 4.1K bulb. PM me your address and I’ll see how much it is to send it to you.
Haha you are cruel. Just 1 pc???? Reminds me of the jig-saw puzzle, "who took the last piece"! Just joking. I'm willing to wait for the pictures as the lighting is part of my constant upgrading program. No rush.

Just a thought, if the solux is so good, probably my wife will insist to use it for the house since renovation is on the drawing board. Oh dear!

Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #23
aropal

Actually, if you have no intention of growing plants you could also look at these:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...oducts_id=1048

Since it has a life span of over ten years at typical aquarium light periods and only draws 1 watt it is cheaper than anyother bulb on the market, eventually

Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #24
atom

Quote:
Actually, if you have no intention of growing plants you could also look at these:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...oducts_id=1048

Since it has a life span of over ten years at typical aquarium light periods and only draws 1 watt it is cheaper than anyother bulb on the market, eventually
Thanks again. Any idea what is the lumens rating?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #25
aropal

Well if you believe what the manufacturer says (namely that this puts out the light of an equivalent 17watt incandescent fitting) and that an incandescent fitting puts out about 10 lumens per watt.

Then this should be 170 lumens.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
atom

Quote:
Well if you believe what the manufacturer says (namely that this puts out the light of an equivalent 17watt incandescent fitting) and that an incandescent fitting puts out about 10 lumens per watt.

Then this should be 170 lumens.
Don't think the LED can have the intensity to pierce throught the depth of the water column. Think solux is still a better bet especially no exisiting setup to look at.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #27
aropal

I couldn't resist so I bought one to test it out.

I've got two light fittings in the hood and they're both MR16 so I can compare the two bulbs together.

Of course being only 170 lumens at best I'd need at least 4 of them to match the two Solux lamps.

Also, I'm trying to grow plants (well java fern and java moss) and I can't seem to get any spectral data from Ultraleds.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #28
atom

Quote:
I couldn't resist so I bought one to test it out.

I've got two light fittings in the hood and they're both MR16 so I can compare the two bulbs together.

Of course being only 170 lumens at best I'd need at least 4 of them to match the two Solux lamps.

Also, I'm trying to grow plants (well java fern and java moss) and I can't seem to get any spectral data from Ultraleds.
Haha. Luckily we are living at different ends. If not, I will be doing endless experiment ( not that I'm not doing now) at even larger scale.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:42 AM   #29
Mahek

bro Atom a T8 wz 40W,is a better option.I am using one tube light(box has 02holders) to tan my VIP RED.So far so good.What do you say.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #30
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahek View Post
bro Atom a T8 wz 40W,is a better option.I am using one tube light(box has 02holders) to tan my VIP RED.So far so good.What do you say.
The problem is i'm not using it to tanning. I'm currently using 4 x T8 36W and I find it not natural. Bright but not so good for taking pictures.