Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 24-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #81
jest1081
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
In my opinion, this is the best documented and prettiest journal in planted-Arofanatics. Looking forward to seeing more updates.
ditto ditto!
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #82
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
Thank you so much for the compliment JadeIceGreen - your tanks were inspirations to me when I first started researching & I'm flattered you feel this way.

EvoZ, ah, but the glosso looks really good in your tank and your tank being a 4 footer, matches well with the size of the leaves - in the longer term, I think it's for the better!

Needless to say, UG's the most demanding amongst my plants. Everyday when I see a floating strands, I harvest them for emerse culture and if the strands are large enough, I plunge them deep into the substrate. Still keeping fingers crossed that they will show growth these upcoming weeks.

for UG, i think u really need a 3-month period of no fish inside ur tank to prevent any uprooting.. Yea i think the glosso matches well.. staying very low as well..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #83
Alvin Koh

Administrator

EvoZ Hehe.., some fishes have gone into the tank over the weekend which explains some of the floating UG caused by the algae cleanup crew - 3 Otos and a single Amano shrimp (dare not risk adding more as they REALLY love to mess with the soil).
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #84
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
EvoZ Hehe.., some fishes have gone into the tank over the weekend which explains some of the floating UG caused by the algae cleanup crew - 3 Otos and a single Amano shrimp (dare not risk adding more as they REALLY love to mess with the soil).
well i got 20 amano shrimps inside my 422.. probably they uprooted my UG and UG floated into inlet of my filter i guess..
Old 30-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #85
Grace

This is very interesting, step by step process. I am learning alots here. ThkQ for sharing.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #86
rodders

Quote:
Are you the Alvin from BMW-SG?
rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #87
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodders View Post
Are you the Alvin from BMW-SG?
Hey Rodney! :P I didn't know you were into fishes & long time no see
Old 30-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #88
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
well i got 20 amano shrimps inside my 422.. probably they uprooted my UG and UG floated into inlet of my filter i guess..
Haha... i don't like Amanos. Evoz - I thought you were using Malayans?
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #89
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
I took out the only single Amano shrimp from my tank yesterday - saw it happily eating and uprooting the UG as it was probably quite hungry. What confirmed this was when I saw it clipping several leaves of UG in half and the top half floats away while it continued to nibble on the remainder. It seems to prefer UG to algae.

I also recalled my Amano shrimps eating my floating UG in my nano tank before when they were hungry. I soon found out from some other forums that shrimps do like to snack on UG. So no shrimps for me for now (until the lawn is lush), and I hope this helps other who may wish to try UG.
Old 30-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #90
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

ah... maybe that explains why my UG disappeared.. haha