Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 12-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
A|X
Arofanatic

redcross PL and FL Lights

Tried to use the Search but not much found. Looked for Sticky also cannot find. So posted the question here. If there is any existing thread, please point me to it and will remove this thread. Thks.

I am new to planted tank. 2ft tank setup: ehiem 2026, Co2 set(8hrs), fan(24x7), skimmer and normal white lights(8hrs). I think i need a better lights for my tank but doesn't have much info. Read got PL & FL lights but not sure which is suitable and importantly economical. (initial and running cost)

1. Any cons using the normal white aquarium lights ? ie: temperature increase: current water temp (28) is abt 2 deg lower than room temp (30)
2. What is the difference between PL & FL lights ?
3. Which is better ? Pros and Cons.

I read that different plants need different types of light, no need to be so specific. In general is sufficient.

Any info on this would be appreciated.
A|X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
angmoh

if budget allowed, of course, PL light is a better choice (anyway, PL doesnt cost "that" expensive...)

Pros of PL : less heat , less power consumption (if compare to the same watt of FL ), longer life span, more intensity ....

Cons of PL : expensive, could be difficult to find the eballast (especially in JB)

What kinda light you need?
Most of the plants grow well in 6500k of light. 6500k is the color temperature. different k values define the color of the light. 6500k is closest to the daylight... in short, for planted tanks, u can choose any light ranging from 6000 - 10,000k .

How much light you need?
Normally we go on watt per galloon basis... but this rule doesnt really apply for small tank.. but for a general guidance , if you are going for low-light tank, 2watt per gal. is recommended . if higher (more light-demanding plant) you can go for 5watt per gal.

i used to have a 2ft tank, with just one azoo 20watt tube, and most of the plants grow pretty well.

Get an aluminium reflector, to maximized the reflection of the light rays.