Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #21
saratogafantail

Unhappy Swim bladder problem

Hi all; Am new to this.....I am desperate....My 10 year old fantail has had constant swim bladder for the past 6 months at least.... I have tried everything recommended!!!!!!!!!! except the needle thing and cod liver oil....Do you soak the spirulina in the oil before feeding it???? I hand feed this fish.... He is so gutsy I don't have the heart to kill him.... Slight pressure on his bladder used to work, but not anymore... Does anyone have a diagaram of the bladder so I could try that needle thing as a last resort....Barring anything else ; and nothing works, I think he has suffered long enough and would like some humane idea on putting him to sleep....I was thinking of putting tank water in a ziplock with air, and putting him in the freezer...I think the gradual temperature change would slow his system down till he went comatose???
Old 14-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
GreyMan

Default No Cure Liao...

Hi all, I think it is true on what some say about swim bladder problem.... no cure. I have fed my gf with peas and starve them for days b4 feeding them, but still no improvements. Sometimes, I think can't be help, like one of my gf, he is a pig, always the first to the food and eats like a vacuum cleaner. Food that is for 4 gf, he alone eats 50% of them. Now he is doing head stand when not swimming, anyone has good advice beside medication, cos I din like that and I dun think he is suffering from any diseases.

Will it go worse, like what some forumers here experience, like floating or sinking at the bottom ? Cheers.
Old 14-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #23
fongs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMan
Hi all, I think it is true on what some say about swim bladder problem.... no cure. I have fed my gf with peas and starve them for days b4 feeding them, but still no improvements. Sometimes, I think can't be help, like one of my gf, he is a pig, always the first to the food and eats like a vacuum cleaner. Food that is for 4 gf, he alone eats 50% of them. Now he is doing head stand when not swimming, anyone has good advice beside medication, cos I din like that and I dun think he is suffering from any diseases.

Will it go worse, like what some forumers here experience, like floating or sinking at the bottom ? Cheers.
Hi,

It will only get worse especially if there's no change in diet. I had one oranda that was doing head stand initially and gradually degraded to flipping over & floating on the water surface when its not swimming...

Starving helps (to some extend) & more importantly, GFs that have SBD b4 need "special" diet... reduce regular feed & give them more greens!

Couple of valuable lessons I learnt (as preventive measures):

- NEVER overfeed! Feed in small qty. GFs always appear hungry. Its better to feed less when in doubt. Don't worry, GFs (being cold blooded animals) need less food than they think they do!

- Pre-soak your pellets or dried foods. I soaked mine for at least 10mins b4 feeding.

- Pea treatment. Serve your GFs peas as a preventive measure against SBD. I usually feed peas to my GFs at least once a week - one pea per GF.

Good luck & keeping rearing!!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #24
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongs
Hi,

It will only get worse especially if there's no change in diet. I had one oranda that was doing head stand initially and gradually degraded to flipping over & floating on the water surface when its not swimming...

Starving helps (to some extend) & more importantly, GFs that have SBD b4 need "special" diet... reduce regular feed & give them more greens!

Couple of valuable lessons I learnt (as preventive measures):

- NEVER overfeed! Feed in small qty. GFs always appear hungry. Its better to feed less when in doubt. Don't worry, GFs (being cold blooded animals) need less food than they think they do!

- Pre-soak your pellets or dried foods. I soaked mine for at least 10mins b4 feeding.

- Pea treatment. Serve your GFs peas as a preventive measure against SBD. I usually feed peas to my GFs at least once a week - one pea per GF.

Good luck & keeping rearing!!
Very good information!
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #25
raisin

gosh...my fish is floating upside down. i wonder if its gotten the disease too.
Old 27-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #26
tangmulong4488
Dragon

" Pre-soak your pellets or dried foods. " actually don need to soak pellets waste vitamins n nutrient.. just feed the sinking type of hikira lionhead pellet... or super medi gold.... there's no air in that kind of pellet cause if got air will float one....
tangmulong4488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
tangmulong4488
Dragon

" A fish which has normal buoyancy but is listing to one side or the other often does not have swim bladder disease, but may have other diseases.
"
then wat disease ?
tangmulong4488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #28
joelwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmulong4488
" A fish which has normal buoyancy but is listing to one side or the other often does not have swim bladder disease, but may have other diseases.
"
then wat disease ?
Can anybody enlighten?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #29
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmulong4488
" Pre-soak your pellets or dried foods. " actually don need to soak pellets waste vitamins n nutrient.. just feed the sinking type of hikira lionhead pellet... or super medi gold.... there's no air in that kind of pellet cause if got air will float one....
Good point and people should not follow blindly.
Old 26-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
peter porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King View Post
Good point and people should not follow blindly.
Oh yes..SBD can be caused by bacteria also, so need not necessarily be the method of feeding.