Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 13-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
jebus
Dragon

Default Marine Pure "hack"

I think i am slow on the bandwagon, but got the marine pure media recently to try out. bought the $75 block because it was more worth it.
i did some calculations.

between the standard block at 75 versus the made for OHF version.
Standard block 256 cubic inch for $75
OHF version 99 cubic inch for $60

so i decided to buy the standard block because it was about 3.4 cubic inch per dollar spent versus 1.65 cubic inch per dollar spent

took out the wrapper, lo and behold, it looks like a gigantic bread!

initially my plan was to use a hammer and the scrapper to shape them into smaller pieces, but it seems like a scrapper is all that's needed!

hence i easily managed to use $75 and a bit of elbow grease to carve out about 3 OHF trays worth of marine pure media! this is considerably cheaper! than the OHF version, and i think there is a ball version ($75 for 3.8l) which does not pack as well ( many loose bits causes the media to breakdown quickly)

Verdict: the media feels very brittle but resistant to water flow, so as long as two piece do not rub together, it should be okay!

it is obviously also very porous and with pores in the less than less than 1mm range, which is suppose to be good size for bacteria to live in compared to the ultra small pores in other media ( e.g. biohome,etc)

took a close up shot, to enjoy the "pores size", unfortunately i no longer work in a lab, cannot use a high powered optical microscope for the purpose.
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Aro77
Dragon

Thanks For Sharing this hack
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Wow thanks for sharing. 3 tray !! I spent so much on one tray.
Bigfoot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

One of my blocks eroded under the weight of eheim pump that I place on top, imprinted the pump bottom pattern.

Also very easily become sand when I shift them with hands.

Accidentally dropped one when bring out of sump, broke down into sand-like material.

My most disliked filter material due to it's fragility.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
jebus
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
One of my blocks eroded under the weight of eheim pump that I place on top, imprinted the pump bottom pattern.

Accidentally dropped one when bring out of sump, broke down into sand-like material.

powerheads have vibration, so what u had was like a jack hammer pounding it up.
thats why i was saying cannot have 2 piece rubbing on each other, otherwise sure disintegrate!
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Very great diy idea!!! Help save alot of $ in the long run
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post

when i came back to the hobby after a long break i was outdated on what popular media was there on the market... so apart from momotaro i didnt really know what else to get. did some reading up n decided to try marine pure cause of the porosity. i was also skeptical about how fragile it was but after testing out a few blocks i never looked back. 2 years+ liao and all the blocks are still in mint condition, in spite of shifting tanks 4 times.. and 2-3 months once sump maintainence.

i think the key is proper handling... eg place them properly into the tank instead of dropping/throwing... leave sufficient gaps in between the blocks for easy removal access when required... dropping on the floor is a big no no for any media either way. nowadays i just hose down the MP in the sump n siphon out the water for easier maintaince. no need for removal coz of the porosity.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post

i think the key is proper handling... eg place them properly into the tank instead of dropping/throwing... leave sufficient gaps in between the blocks for easy removal access when required... dropping on the floor is a big no no for any media either way. nowadays i just hose down the MP in the sump n siphon out the water for easier maintaince. no need for removal coz of the porosity.
Welcome back.

In two years time, see the blocks yourself.

All good porous media will erode and break down over time.
These blocks however are too brittle and friable (for real life practical use) to my liking.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote