Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 20-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
tylim

Default Overhead filter aeration

Hey guys, I'm new to fishes (Started since oct) and I recently bought an overhead filter... However I realised that the tube which the filtered water is released back into the tank doesn't allow for much aeration because the tube opening is submerged in water.

Does this mean that I should get an air pump?
Old 20-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
cedric_sunny
Dragon

I think it's better for you to include a air pump and not to depend on the air deliver by the OHF, in case the air is not enough then you will be having a bigger problem fishes dead caused by insufficient air in your tank.
cedric_sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
tylim

Ok then thanks for the info!

What type of air pump should I get for a 2feet tank and around how much will it cost? Measurements (LxWxH) around 24 inch by 11 inch by 12 inch.
Old 20-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Spakase

Actually OHF filters allow more oxygen exchange than in an external cannister environment or IOS, hence there isn't a fear of inadequate oxygen. What I do with my ohf is to DIY the return tube by adding an "L" to the end of the tube. Water flowing back to the tank will blow at the surface, thus introducing more oxygen into the tank.

Electricity failure is something that happens now and then, whether it is by SG Power or a trip in the house (quite common from kitchen overhead units).
It might be a better idea to get some airstones driven by a backup (Ranger) in the event there is electricity failure, this would at least ensure the tank is aerated during the power down period.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
KongMing6
Dragon

Read in the forum that as long as there is surface movement of water, there is air. For my set-up, the outflow is above water. So far so good.
KongMing6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
yanki2
Endangered Dragon

is your water level too high that it touches the outlet tube? you might want to consider lowering the water level.
yanki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
tylim

Ok quys thanks! will take into consideration all you've said

Tags
aeration, air pump, filter, overhead filter