Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 29-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
amigo
Dragon

Default tank size for breeding

like to know what is the size of the tank you guys give for the love nest.
i am still learning, so please contribute.
amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
KY Foong

Different people use the size of their choice and with reason. When I started breeding I did all the spawns in those PET containers. The reason as my friend told me is that it is easier for them to "cross path" in a confined space and easy for the male to pick up the freshly hatched fries. When the fries are bigger I transfer them into another tank. I simply pour out 1 week old fries into a 1 ft tank. Many spawns no problem. Many have also seen me doing that. Nowadays I use a 1 ft tank and then leave the fries and the father there (I'm lazy liao). Someone asked me what is the smallest tank I have used? It's the smallest guppy tank. Successful? Yes. So it's your choice. I also used to cover the whole thing in newspaper so that the fishes are not disturbed. Now I feel a little silly, young people kissed in public! (got the clue?).
The final answer, use what's best available and pratical to you. Growing up tank is a little different, the fries need space and I think no more than 100 fries per 1 ft tank. Split the fries if your spawn is big. After 3 weeks this should be no more than 50 per 1 ft tank. This is my experience and others may have theirs.
Half cut cups? I don't use them anymore. Just plain or use a very dried ketapang leave floating. Bubbles? Borrowed ones also can.
Hiding place? This is necessary for the female. I use ketapang leave (soaked to make sure it sinks).
Old 29-07-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
betta_zoid87
Senior Dragon

gd luck in ur breeding program amigo...
betta_zoid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Gus
Dragon

Bro learn from Uncle Foong he's the SiFu to learn from and he's 100% right and will never teach you the wrong way of spawning betta.

You own him a cup of tea liao hee..............hee........................

Colon Gus....

QUOTE=amigo]like to know what is the size of the tank you guys give for the love nest.
i am still learning, so please contribute.[/QUOTE]
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
betta_luRver

Hehe, i used the pineapple tart containers and they were successful!!! Moreover, my first time spawning!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
gbegks

Default Tank size for breeding beta

I prefer at least 2' x 1' container/tank/styrofoam box with water level of between 6 to 8 inches and lots of leavy plants. Reason: with a sufficiently large surface area, the female beta will have space to run and take cover, otherwise the female be killed after the mating process.

It is advisable to remove the female after the mating is completed, i.e. white eggs within the bubblenest.

There is no need to remove the father as he is unlikely to eat the babies unless he is very hungry. Unfortunately, the mother enjoys feasting upon her babies if she can find them.

Minimise the disturbance to the setup as much as possible to reduce stress to the fries and father. Stress causes them to behave strangely. I normally don't touch the breeding tanks except for feeding and a little bit of housekeeping.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
amigo
Dragon

i know the bigger the breeding tank, the better. but not so big that the male cannot "trap" the female to mate. anyway, i do not have the space for big tank (more than 1/2 feet). that's why i bring up this topic.

bro Gus, if so easily buy over Uncle Fong, then he must be very busy....heehee
amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
KY Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo
i know the bigger the breeding tank, the better. but not so big that the male cannot "trap" the female to mate. anyway, i do not have the space for big tank (more than 1/2 feet). that's why i bring up this topic.

bro Gus, if so easily buy over Uncle Fong, then he must be very busy....heehee
You be judge, Gus now has 12 spawns, me only 4!! He is Big timer!! No need me la. He got 1 pair from me for F2, I haven't start you he kena 2 spawns liao!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
BettaFaNatiC
Senior Dragon

1 feet or less for me
BettaFaNatiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
SilverStallion
Dragon

Added to FAQ
SilverStallion is offline   Reply With Quote