Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 21-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #31
ziw3i
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
IMHO C0 coral sand would be ideal (though Amid may disagree on this ) as its fine enough for sandshifters even as well as clean look and good buffer. Also, can use that tray/s (OHF) supposingly use for coral chips to put bio-media instead.

Note: Diff sources has diff grades of C0...some would be finer than others...from my experiences of purchasing 20~30 packets of 10kg of C0 in the last 24 months.
zonkkie,
bro Brichardi also Jo's gang i think ....
his house tanga also a lot , maybe more now ?

btw if you want really fine sand, play sand is good (and cheap)
but it wont affect pH if you intend to use sand as a pH buffer
ziw3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
johannes

Ray is one of the old birds in this Lake Tanganyikan cichlids hobby
He is in fact one of my Tanganyikan mentors, not mentioning others that are obvious, haha
Old 21-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #33
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
easiest is either use C0 coral sand for white colour or cory sand for more brownish colour.
Quote:
IMHO C0 coral sand would be ideal (though Amid may disagree on this ) as its fine enough for sandshifters even as well as clean look and good buffer. Also, can use that tray/s (OHF) supposingly use for coral chips to put bio-media instead.

Note: Diff sources has diff grades of C0...some would be finer than others...from my experiences of purchasing 20~30 packets of 10kg of C0 in the last 24 months.
thanks bros. ya, makes sense if the substrate can use to buffer - might as well use it. Bro Brichardi - will PM you on the recommendation to get the finest C0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziw3i View Post
zonkkie,
bro Brichardi also Jo's gang i think ....
his house tanga also a lot , maybe more now ?

btw if you want really fine sand, play sand is good (and cheap)
but it wont affect pH if you intend to use sand as a pH buffer
ya, i remember he gave u an angel pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Ray is one of the old birds in this Lake Tanganyikan cichlids hobby
He is in fact one of my Tanganyikan mentors, not mentioning others that are obvious, haha
hmm... ok, that makes him my grand-mentor. better pay my respects.
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #34
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
thanks bros. ya, makes sense if the substrate can use to buffer - might as well use it. Bro Brichardi - will PM you on the recommendation to get the finest C0.

ya, i remember he gave u an angel pair.

hmm... ok, that makes him my grand-mentor. better pay my respects.
Zonk bud....sorry but there is no way to tell how fine the C0 coral sand will be UNTIL you open up the bags. If lucky....will be dusty fine, else will just be fine...which imo is still fine enough for sandshifters though Amid bud will still disagree as he felt that they may still harm some sandshifters.

BTW I didn't gave bud Ziwei any pair of angel fishes. Just some small ones.

Also, Johannes is exaggerating about me being one of his mentor on tanganyikans la. We are simply hobbyists exchanging/sharing our knowledge on fishes, being fish lovers ourselves. However it's good to know that there are really other keen tanganyikan lovers like him, Tangs_rule, ECtan, Youngman, Wildbear, etc, etc, etc... that always would be most willing to help and share with hobbyists.

BTW Zonk or any others....my house is always open to anyone that wants to see/talk fishes over a cup of hot coffee!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #35
ziw3i
Dragon

Quote:
Zonk bud....sorry but there is no way to tell how fine the C0 coral sand will be UNTIL you open up the bags. If lucky....will be dusty fine, else will just be fine...which imo is still fine enough for sandshifters though Amid bud will still disagree as he felt that they may still harm some sandshifters.

BTW I didn't gave bud Ziwei any pair of angel fishes. Just some small ones.

Also, Johannes is exaggerating about me being one of his mentor on tanganyikans la. We are simply hobbyists exchanging/sharing our knowledge on fishes, being fish lovers ourselves. However it's good to know that there are really other keen tanganyikan lovers like him, Tangs_rule, ECtan, Youngman, Wildbear, etc, etc, etc... that always would be most willing to help and share with hobbyists.

BTW Zonk or any others....my house is always open to anyone that wants to see/talk fishes over a cup of hot coffee!
i wait for cedric come tompang me, i know where to find u
ziw3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
leisuretron
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=zonkkie;9765778]Saw your post on your very impressive big tank! Amazing! Ok - so the more economical option is still baking soda and epson salt. Do you do anything to prevent the sand going down to your sump?

yup..so far no problem witj baking soda and epson salt..i didnt really try to block sands from going down into sump.as the overflow is on the top surface..seldom will have sand being filtered down..but overtime sure will have abit of find sands in sump..but its fine with mi.
leisuretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #37
jyee
Arofanatic

Woh.
Another guys who also just kenal tagans ebola just liked me.. haha

Due to Recently keep poisoned by frenz, I also just step into tagans world.

Just share my recent setup, any goes wrong all sifus please correct me.

I just setup a 422 tank with mr aqua ohf system.
A ohf c/w 4 layer, wool, bioball, cr and some aquaclay and 1 tray of cc.
Going to take out aqua clay also heard that I will bring down the ph level.
From the first day of setup, ph level was at 9.5 and current reading is at 8.4. Still monitoring whether it will Still dropping or not then only decide whether need to add cc.
For the pump wise, I am using aqua -up dry pump, it just like those Taiwanese place the pump at the ohf and an inlet goes all the way to the bottom of the tank. I set the inlet at abt 3" away after the substrate. The reason I choose this type of pump, it is because good for scaping purpose.
For substrate, currently just using plain 30kg of coral sand. Was planning whether do I need to add 1 bag of sudo sand to create like river bed feeling. But worried abt the outcome will quite funny.
And for scaping tools, this week gonna add in some rocks that in grey colour in odd shape. Hope won't much affect to the ph level.
Recently, my frenz just add 2 bags of redsea reef base as his tagans tank substrate as that sand claimed that it will help to maintain the tank ph @ 8.2-8.3.
I m still waiting his results ,if really able to help may get 2 bags to ply too.
.↖(^ω^)↗

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
jyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #38
zonkkie
Dragon

while waiting for main tank - the poison already started thanks to bro PP.

zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #39
wildbear
Arofanatic

Nice J.transcriptus...swee!
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #40
Brichardi
Dragon

Nice healthy pair! Hope they breed soon.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote