Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 25-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
GreenTea
Senior Dragon

Default CO2 leaking....

i bot this regulator abt 2 mths ago together with the cylinder... for the fist 2 mths, the gauge dropped from 1000-850... in the past week, it dropped almost 100 every day.... till today, only left 400-350..

what could be wrong?? regulator leaking or cylinder??
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
|squee|

Regulator more likely imho. Spray the whole thing with a diluted soap solution... and check if bubbles form repeatedly and burst at one area. That's the area that's haveing a leak.

Other possible places are your bubble counter, along with your solenoid ( if you have one ) and maybe your cylinder itself too.
Old 25-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
axlrose

put the whole tubing into a pail of water. check for any bubbles coming out.

also, check that the O ring is still on the regulator.

its a small rubber ring that seals up the space between the opening of the cylinder and the regulator.if you hear a hissing sound from the regulator,chances are your O ring is gone.
Old 25-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Betta Fantasy

I think its the O-ring cos I used to have this problem when I tried to fix a Dupla valve to a local large cylinder and they dont 'sit' very well on each other. The bloody o ring is easy to break, so I buy afew at home. With such fitting, one tends to over tighten n damaged the o ring,which means they can only be used once.

U can get o rings easily in h/w shops...cheap cheap nia
Old 25-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
goh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea
i bot this regulator abt 2 mths ago together with the cylinder... for the fist 2 mths, the gauge dropped from 1000-850... in the past week, it dropped almost 100 every day.... till today, only left 400-350..

what could be wrong?? regulator leaking or cylinder??
I think this is normal.
In the initial stage, the reading will be almost constant, but once the pressure in the cylinder drop below a certain level, the reading will drop significantly daily. It is time for a refill.
Old 25-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Spoon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Fantasy
I think its the O-ring cos I used to have this problem when I tried to fix a Dupla valve to a local large cylinder and they dont 'sit' very well on each other. The bloody o ring is easy to break, so I buy afew at home. With such fitting, one tends to over tighten n damaged the o ring,which means they can only be used once.

U can get o rings easily in h/w shops...cheap cheap nia
Gd idea bro. Maybe i should try the O-ring also. I jus bought 5L CO2 cylinder abt 2 weeks back. There is a leakage n unknowly after 2 weeks the whole 5L CO2 cylinder is empty.

I tried using the white tape on the thread of the cylinder. Its helps but to be more secure think i should try the O-ring as well.

Spoon81
Old 25-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
D!Concept

one of my friend's cylinder leaks too. try using some white tape used for water pipes around the thread of the screw part.
when i first bought my, i gong gong go screw the solenoid hand tight only and all co2 lost in two days. use spanner!
Old 25-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
mercurial

Just a word of caution - the white tape is meant for water seals not air so try to get to the root of the problem if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by D!Concept
one of my friend's cylinder leaks too. try using some white tape used for water pipes around the thread of the screw part.
when i first bought my, i gong gong go screw the solenoid hand tight only and all co2 lost in two days. use spanner!
Old 25-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
GreenTea
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I think this is normal.
In the initial stage, the reading will be almost constant, but once the pressure in the cylinder drop below a certain level, the reading will drop significantly daily. It is time for a refill.

but mine is a 10litre cylinder... even if the pressure drops after the constant level, dont think will drop by 10% per day rite??
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
Betta Fantasy

tell u what rreplace the O-ring first n see how. no point guessing. The oring is one of the most important thing if u talking abt air tightness.