Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
navin

Question hi

hello, bro,, i have set-up a small marine fish tank,, is a about few weeks old,,, i put in some coral,, some coral open some never open,, even open a bit,, i put blue and white light i add in terace aliment and kawassa..
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
KaLiB

Quote:
hello, bro,, i have set-up a small marine fish tank,, is a about few weeks old,,, i put in some coral,, some coral open some never open,, even open a bit,,
Sounds like you stock your tank too quickly but i can't be sure. What are the water parameters? What corals are you having? Sounds like the corals are not healthy at all, probably due to factors like poor water quality, poor lighting etc..

We need more information before anybody can help you. Once we have a clearer picture of what you have, we will definitely be in a better position to help. The information you have provided is too brief.

We need information like what equipment you got, what's the tank water parameters, what fish you got, what corals you have, etc..

Quote:
blue and white light
What sort of light? What wattage? Lighting is important for many corals, if the light is not strong enough, the corals can suffer and die.

Quote:
add in terace aliment and kawassa
What's terace aliment and kawassa? Trace Element and Kalkwasser??
Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
stash

Default Tank set

hi very sorry for you. looks like u went into marine without any research....

u should seriously seek some advise on proper care.....

u can also pm me...
stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
Sherman_Wong

Default how did you dose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
hello, bro,, i have set-up a small marine fish tank,, is a about few weeks old,,, i put in some coral,, some coral open some never open,, even open a bit,, i put blue and white light i add in terace aliment and kawassa..
hey bro...hopes this helps but the common mistake for dosing kawasser is that you just pour the water mixed with the powder kawasser in to the tank!!
I seriouly hope that you did not do that, as the aftermath is....
If you did then the correct way of dosing it would be to wait for a while after you mixed the water with kawasser. Let the larger partials settle then you pour the clear solution into the tank....
Old 12-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
KaLiB

Quote:
If you did then the correct way of dosing it would be to wait for a while after you mixed the water with kawasser. Let the larger partials settle then you pour the clear solution into the tank....
I think kalkwasser solution should be dosed 1 drop at a time(Read somewhere the rate is 1 drop per second per 100litres of water) rather than the whole solution being poured into the tank. The original pH of kalk is very high(think is around pH12), which can result in pH changes in the maintank.

An exception to this would be to chemically reduce the pH of kalkwasser before pouring it in direct.

If i made any mistakes, do correct me.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
yan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
I think kalkwasser solution should be dosed 1 drop at a time(Read somewhere the rate is 1 drop per second per 100litres of water)
IMO,if NAVIN worried of over-dosing,how abt 1 drop/ 4sec to 10 sec then stop dosing on the next day to check the water condition if it is ok.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
KaLiB

Yes, forgot to mention, should check the water after dosing as well. Pay attention to pH, kH and Calcium.

For dosing 1 drop per 4-10seconds maybe too slow and the kalkwasser solution can turn bad. If exposed to the air for prolonged periods, a white precipitate of calcium carbonate would form. This happens when carbon dioxide reacts with the solution.

I'm using the 1 drop per second per 100litres rule with not much problem. Just play around with this to suit your needs. Like for a 50litre tank, it should be 1 drop per 2 seconds.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
stash

Default confusing

doesnt all this sound very confusing.... no harm to anyone.... but for a newbie its really confusing and scary....
stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Kenji80

What is your water parameters reading?
Old 27-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #10
Madison

Why are you dosing w/ Kalk? do you have any hard corals? you need calcium to grow your corraline...but usually the you get enough from the treated tap.

I would go back to the LFS and see if they can hold your corals...wait till the tank fully cycles.