Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 23-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
polarpuffs
Arofanatic

Default Love me, love my tangans!

Hi all tangan khakis! Upon being given the go-ahead by my "management" approval, I had recently set up a 3x1.5x1.5 tanganyika tank. It has always been my dream to own tank this big (I had been keeping julies, brichardis, helianthus for quite some times in my 2 footer. Though aggressive, they are relatively easier to keep and less pricey). Now that circumstances allowed, I have finally decided to come out of my comfort zone and venture into more delicate and rarer tangans. Below are some pictures which I would like to share with you all

First team to arrive! My similis colony!

Next up, Paracyprichromis nigrpinnis juveniles. Bro brichardi, here you go...lol. These little gems are eating well and taking anything I throw into the water.

Didnt expect them to drift along the underside of rocks. Just like julies!

Lastly, I injected the aquarium with some energy and life by adding some sandsifters and leptosoma:

My colony of 2m3f subadults Xenotilapia(enantiopus) melanogenys Makola. Fascinating creatures with all those sandsifting!

And they seem to think they are leptosoma. lol...

But im sure my 1m2f utinta wont mind their company (they will haf more companions after this sunday though )

Finally my tank:

Feel free to comment!
polarpuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
whitedash
Arofanatic

Nice! Keep up the good work
whitedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
gcce

what do you feed them? nice work!
gcce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Brichardi
Dragon

Well done bud!

Love the 2 layers sand (3+1 bags?) Yes , yr nigris will dominate that rocky area until/unless another species take over (julies/altos/etc), then they will have to cling to the glass.

Tank looks good now, best NOT to add more species. Females of same species (similis/nigris/cypris/enantiopus) are welcome to spread aggression of the males towards their females when mating.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
polarpuffs
Arofanatic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedash View Post
Nice! Keep up the good work
Thanks bro...hopefully in time to come..I can also haf a 5footer...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcce View Post
what do you feed them? nice work!
Mostly hikari-brand flakes, pellets and dried brine shrimp. Frozen bloodworms once every few days. And of fourse nls thera A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Well done bud!

Love the 2 layers sand (3+1 bags?) Yes , yr nigris will dominate that rocky area until/unless another species take over (julies/altos/etc), then they will have to cling to the glass.

Tank looks good now, best NOT to add more species. Females of same species (similis/nigris/cypris/enantiopus) are welcome to spread aggression of the males towards their females when mating.
Its actually the same sand...I guess just tt the tank light gives the impression tt there r diff layers of sand...lol.

So u got the remaining 4pc? How r they doing?

Nah not introducing any more new species...maybe just gonna expand the lepto population size a little bit
Old 24-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
gcce

what is the size of nls thera A that you are using? 0.5 or 1mm?
gcce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarpuffs View Post

Its actually the same sand...I guess just tt the tank light gives the impression tt there r diff layers of sand...lol.

So u got the remaining 4pc? How r they doing?

Nah not introducing any more new species...maybe just gonna expand the lepto population size a little bit
Ah, thought you're using the idea of some nano's/reef tank keepers....coarse ones below/fine ones on top

The additional 4 nigris was just an addition to my 5 originally ordered ones 1~2 months ago. Thinking of getting 5 to make it 10 but left 4!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
pearl1982
Dragon

Nice setup bro ..
pearl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
polarpuffs
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcce View Post
what is the size of nls thera A that you are using? 0.5 or 1mm?
Oh im using 0.5mm pellets...thot it was kinda small though... but the fishes ate them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Ah, thought you're using the idea of some nano's/reef tank keepers....coarse ones below/fine ones on top

The additional 4 nigris was just an addition to my 5 originally ordered ones 1~2 months ago. Thinking of getting 5 to make it 10 but left 4!
9 is a lot already lah....hahah. im already worrying how to house them when they grow into 15cm adults...lol. Might get a 5 footer then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl1982 View Post
Nice setup bro ..
Thx bro. Your 6footer is no less impressive!
Old 25-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
gyjd
Arofanatic

haha...think u gotta apply approval for 5/6ft tank asap liao
gyjd is offline   Reply With Quote