Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
gang

Question Environment for holding pregnant cichlid

my cichlid got pregnant again. i am wondering, what kind of environment can i create so that i can keep mommy fish in the community tank and not seperate her again everytime she gets pregnant. any advice or tips? thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
gang

any advice?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
kimi
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=gang;8011466]my cichlid got pregnant again. i am wondering, what kind of environment can i create so that i can keep mommy fish in the community tank and not seperate her again everytime she gets pregnant. any advice or tips? thanks in advance[/Q UOTE]

bro there are many kind of chichlid all require different care.
any photos?
kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
gang

[QUOTE=kimi;8012655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gang View Post
my cichlid got pregnant again. i am wondering, what kind of environment can i create so that i can keep mommy fish in the community tank and not seperate her again everytime she gets pregnant. any advice or tips? thanks in advance[/Q UOTE]

bro there are many kind of chichlid all require different care.
any photos?
mine is the common one they sell in fish shop.
check out the pic. i find it quite a hassle to remove it.
tried some plastic plants but they dont provide enough shelter. do i need rocks etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	266973  
Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
KawaiiBoy
Dragon

There are too many things that can cause the female fish to lose the eggs if you do not remove her from the community tank.

She may wana eat the food u feed the other fishes, and then the eggs will be crushed. This happens to my fishes all the time.

Next, she might be disturbed by active male fishes and judging from your tank size, there aint much space for her to hide.

And even if you can keep her until she holds the eggs to the terms, in the end you still have to remove her in order to remove the babies, so if you really want to keep the babies, then remove the mummy.
KawaiiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
gang

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiBoy View Post
There are too many things that can cause the female fish to lose the eggs if you do not remove her from the community tank.

She may wana eat the food u feed the other fishes, and then the eggs will be crushed. This happens to my fishes all the time.

Next, she might be disturbed by active male fishes and judging from your tank size, there aint much space for her to hide.

And even if you can keep her until she holds the eggs to the terms, in the end you still have to remove her in order to remove the babies, so if you really want to keep the babies, then remove the mummy.
ic. the small tank is the holding tank. im on 3 ft. thought of creating a more 'natural' place for the mom to stay in the tank than taking her out. i guess what u said makes sense. better dont risk it.

Tags
cichlid, holding, pregnant