Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
frontosa
Dragon

Default 422 Tangan

Got some time so snapped a few shots and share my 422 setup. Simple rocks and sand, with inhabitants no larger than 4". Pardon the poorly taken shots - best I can manage

Start with a full tank shot and a group shot

Leleupi - female of a pair that has been spawning lately, overlooking her 'nest'

N. Cylindricus

My fav....Nkambae Kendalii

Ventralis....that I find getting a little too big for this community
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
zapbranigan
Arofanatic

Just a suggestion bro, you should create a separate rock pile so that not a single species would take over everything else. Mind telling where did you get that alto?
zapbranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
bennyliv
Dragon

Nice nice, a tangayikan tank with different species. Like the rockscape and white sand! Btw where will the lelupi spawn their egg on... The rock surface?

Last edited by bennyliv; 05-02-2011 at 06:23 PM.
bennyliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
frontosa
Dragon

Zap - been a no. of years and no one has actually taken over the rockpile....was actually trying to create a rocky wall effect...

benny - in the shell....can pack a lot of fries in there
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Pikapig
Dragon

Nice setup bro...always wanted to try placing some lelupi in my tank with compress...but always had 2nd doubt tat if they will spawn in community tank and apparently, u just showed me that they will
Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Betta Mania

Bro thanks fpr sharing pics. Interestingly looks very similar to my Tanga 422 com set up. I use a different gravel though, believe saw it on website of a compay called Hawaiin Gravel (?) and it is similar to their Tannga mix - your fine coral mix to me seems nicer
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
Betta Mania

Bro thanks fpr sharing pics. Interestingly looks very similar to my Tanga 422 com set up. I use a different gravel though, believe saw it on website of a compay called Hawaiin Gravel (?) and it is similar to their Tannga mix - your fine coral mix to me seems nicer - here is a pic

Last edited by Betta Mania; 18-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
frontosa
Dragon

Pikapig - once they start to mate, they practically took over that corner of the tank...chasing off anyone that comes near. Leleupis are good additions, in my opinion, as they add colour to the tank...especially when they are mating. I hav e4 pcs in there, 1 orange and 3 yellow.

BM - heh those are just fine sand that I am using, no coral mix. I do have coral chips in my filter though
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
leecs

I love leleupis but trouble is finding good yellow specimens that won't fade. Had a few last time that faded to a dull yellow after a few months. I really wish I could get back into julies. They are juz lovely to watch when they orientate themselves over rocks. Have your julies spawned?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
frontosa
Dragon

Leecs,

Julie - for this batch that I had, they also turned drab after a while. But when they start spawning, woah the intense yellow came back! My experience tells me also got to do with the water, the stress (dominating fish will show color) and surroundings ie they are brighter with light colored substrate.

Julies - one of my all time fav! This batch consists of my fries grown up. Used to breed regularly in my old tank but stopped when I switched them to this tank