Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #11
|squee|

Thanks I want to do a much better job than this job though

Tank specs:
36W PL 10 hours daily
ADA Aquasoil Africana, JBL Aquabasis Plus
Atman 3335 external filter
CO2 injection through diffusor
Twin DC fans, 27 degrees average

Plants:
Anubias barteri var Nana
Cyperus helferi
Glossostigma Elantinoides
Cryptocoryne sp (most likely Wendtii)
Taiwan moss

Fish:
Otocinclus sp.
Trigonostigma Espei
Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
Young Man
Senior Dragon

oooOOooOOoo...then ur tank not going to put any fore ground plants??isit posible to grow hairgrass if substrate is just ada aquasoil?
but ur light is 36watt...isit possible to grow hairgrass?why dun u increase to 55watt???jus my opinions...
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
|squee|

Yeap there are foreground plants, glosso. They're still new plantlets.

Possible. I grew hairgrass in this Aquasoil, nothing else. 36W is possible imho. Want to change, you sponsor me lah.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
ahlex

great job on e setup n e aquascaping...

HC din work for u is becos most probably ur light level cld be too low, judging from e pic, as HC is a light hungry plant... on growing glosso, u need to have a strong light in order to prevent them frm growing upwards n also to keep them in chk if they grows well as they spread very fast, so fast tat they can engulf ur entire tank in a matter of month or even weeks...

great job again...
Old 13-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Phillipians

hi there, hmmm i was thinking of the same thing, Glosso needs rather high light to creep and exude the 'carpet' effect. But like you said you can try. I feel that HG or E/tennellus will fit your tank more, as the green is not so contrasting. Glosso is rather bright green, and the looks of your tank, bright greenmight not be the best colour for foreground. But again just a thought.

By the way, your nanas are growing superbly, if only mine can do the same Overall the effect is great. With a good foreground, WOAH, it will be fabulous!
Old 13-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #16
gregorsamsa

the pieces of wood look like two outstretched hands palm facing upwards seeking divine guidance

well personnally i think there's too much Anubias, i prefer the setup that is in your gallery. i feel that if you wanna work on it, you might consider placing anubia such that it also covers the front right, this will give the effect of a bed of anubias.

hope your foreground grows well. all the best
Old 13-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #17
|squee|

ahlex, I know, and I fear that I have to change my light set again and risk crypts melting. But all in good time, I'll see if the glosso grows upwards. 72W should do it?

Philipians, I was thinking if the foreground became very bright, I'll remove the black background to balance it out. What do you think?

greg, thanks. In fact, I spotted Seachem's Onyx (not Onyx sand), it contained 1 cent sized crumbs. If glosso fails/extra lighting gives me problems, I'll consider forgetting a foreground altogether and just do a sand foreground which seems quite popular nowadays.

Thanks again guys!
Old 13-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #18
ahlex

then e. tenellus shld be suitable for ur tank since most e plants u had in there requires low light... then it will turn out very nice... forget abt HC n glosso as i think they'll be out of place n if u cater to their lighting requirements, ur other plants will face problems...
Old 13-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #19
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |squee|
Yeap there are foreground plants, glosso. They're still new plantlets.

Possible. I grew hairgrass in this Aquasoil, nothing else. 36W is possible imho. Want to change, you sponsor me lah.
i ownself also not enuf money loh...hahahha...shld be getting a 55watt i hope...ifnot thn get a 36 watt lor...i will use 2inch think aquasoil as base fert and a thin layer of lapis gravel as top layer...thn foreground grow hairgrass...hahahah...but temp need to be low for hair grass???my light wattage can???
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote