Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 01-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
™kok™

Default live rock qns

can artificial rocks {natural rocks not from the ocean} become live rocks after {a period of time } in the marine tank ..
Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
angmoh

A LR means that a rock with bb colonization.

so i think anything in the tank, rocks/sands or whateverso will eventually bcome a "live" thing due to the bb colonization .

but make sure the artificial rocks have alot of porous (deep/shallow pores) to colonize the bb. or else it'd just be a piece of useless decorative rock . hehe
Old 02-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
KaLiB

Yes, artificial rocks(I'm assuming your referring to natural rocks like lava rock and not rocks artificially made by man) can become live rocks overtime as they become colonized with bb. However, for more biodiversity, live rocks must be used in the tank so in time to come, the artificial rocks would be colonized with interesting critters, coralline algae etc..

However, care has to be taken when using such rocks. Due to the corrosive nature of seawater, certain rocks(like lava rock) will leach substances into the water. This can lead to problems like encouraging algae growth or worse still adversely affect the overall system health.

My recommendation is to get those white calcium carbonate type rocks, i can't remember what's their exact name but their used in cichlid setups as well. Avoid getting any dead coral skeletons as these can become a nuisance when hair algae starts colonizing it.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
™kok™

i saw some live rocks which look purple ... r they different than those white ones
Old 04-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ™kok™
i saw some live rocks which look purple ... r they different than those white ones
Those are LR cover with coraline .