Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 27-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeHuat View Post
I find yellow powder works for me if I detect it early and apply the medication.
Erm..we gotta be a little more specific, as some doesn't come from our part of the region and doesn't know what "yellow powder" meant, even from newbies too
xaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Spearhead

Smile

I bought some 'yellow liquid' medicine from ocean free...(from Qianhu)

does cure my guppies...

the white spots recover after 2-3 days.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
baggykitty

Okay...WEIRD. I did another 10% water change before I went to bed just to help with the nitrate levels. When I wake up in the morning his hernia looking thing is gone. And I mean it was very large and pinkish looking. Could he have possibly healed himself with the medication and everything? Or does this sound like a parasite?

I don't have the ammonia figures - unfortunately I got the one test strip that tests for everything BUT ammonia...I'm gonna drop by the store again and get some strips for that.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggykitty View Post
Okay...WEIRD. I did another 10% water change before I went to bed just to help with the nitrate levels. When I wake up in the morning his hernia looking thing is gone. And I mean it was very large and pinkish looking. Could he have possibly healed himself with the medication and everything? Or does this sound like a parasite?

I don't have the ammonia figures - unfortunately I got the one test strip that tests for everything BUT ammonia...I'm gonna drop by the store again and get some strips for that.
thats good... but to be safe, u better monitor it closely...
Old 27-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Spearhead

Thumbs up

good to know it's healed...

good news!!!
Old 27-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
baggykitty

He died It was very sudden. He was doing fine swimming around this morning with everyone but he didn't eat. Then all the sudden I saw him chilling at the bottom like resting against things. he got kind of caught in a plant so I reached in to move it to help him get out. He swam away vigorously. Then the next time I look about 30 minutes later he's upside down stuck in another plant! When I moved it he fell to the bottom of the tank and I knew he was dead. But now I can post good pictures of it so that maybe we can diagnose the problem correctly and the other fish don't get sick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4354.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	239498  
Old 27-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
baggykitty

Here's another picture from a different view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4353.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	239499  
Old 28-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #18
xaine
Dragon

Looks like a ruptured belly, might be a parasite or bacteria infection of somekind.
xaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
baggykitty

I've decided I'm going to go get a bigger tank for everyone - I think this might help. Because I know I was at max capacity with 5 fish, and I know my guppy needs a friend (he's already stressed out that the other died and is swimming up and down the tank quickly thinking the reflection is the dead one). So I'm getting a 20 gallon for them that way there will be more breathing space for everyone.

Suggestions for making this change? Since it is twice as big I was going to put all of the old aquarium water in the new tank which would effectively be a 50% change of water. What should I do with the old carbon filter? I took it out when I put the medication in the tank - should I use it in the new 20 gallon filter? Or will the old water have enough of the good bacteria? The old one was starting to clog up my filter anyways and make the water run slower, so maybe this is a good thing to start with a new one? I thought this was also a good opportunity to wash out my gravel and get out what was possibly causing the high nitrate readings.

I was gonna wait a week or two for the fish to get settle into the new tank before getting a new guppy. Now at least I have a place (the old tank) to isolate the new guppy so no one gets sick again!
Old 28-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggykitty View Post
I've decided I'm going to go get a bigger tank for everyone - I think this might help. Because I know I was at max capacity with 5 fish, and I know my guppy needs a friend (he's already stressed out that the other died and is swimming up and down the tank quickly thinking the reflection is the dead one). So I'm getting a 20 gallon for them that way there will be more breathing space for everyone.

Suggestions for making this change? Since it is twice as big I was going to put all of the old aquarium water in the new tank which would effectively be a 50% change of water. What should I do with the old carbon filter? I took it out when I put the medication in the tank - should I use it in the new 20 gallon filter? Or will the old water have enough of the good bacteria? The old one was starting to clog up my filter anyways and make the water run slower, so maybe this is a good thing to start with a new one? I thought this was also a good opportunity to wash out my gravel and get out what was possibly causing the high nitrate readings.

I was gonna wait a week or two for the fish to get settle into the new tank before getting a new guppy. Now at least I have a place (the old tank) to isolate the new guppy so no one gets sick again!
i would junk the carbon if i were u... i hate them. they require constant change or the activated carbon will get saturated and leech the toxins back into the water.

sounds to me like you got most of it figured out so yeah... u're on the right track

Tags
blisters, guppy, sick, white