Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 26-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
sithspawn

redcross Need to light up a 6ft planted tank

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I need some advise on setting up the lights on my 6ft X 2ft X 2ft tank. The plants i gonna keep include high lighting requirement plants. My best option I've been told is to use 3 MH 150W at around 6500K with maybe a 2 Fluoroscent tubes blue light to make it look more pleasing. The price I've gotten is scary!!! Fully computer controlled $7000 and $3500 for manually controlled. Found a Dymax one new for $700. Anyone got advise on either getting a new cheap one or a 2nd hand better quality one? If you have any you're letting go of, please let me know too. Thanks.
Old 26-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithspawn
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I need some advise on setting up the lights on my 6ft X 2ft X 2ft tank. The plants i gonna keep include high lighting requirement plants. My best option I've been told is to use 3 MH 150W at around 6500K with maybe a 2 Fluoroscent tubes blue light to make it look more pleasing. The price I've gotten is scary!!! Fully computer controlled $7000 and $3500 for manually controlled. Found a Dymax one new for $700. Anyone got advise on either getting a new cheap one or a 2nd hand better quality one? If you have any you're letting go of, please let me know too. Thanks.
$7000 & $3500 is really very exp... much more than you should spend.

there are cheaper alternatives out there that works just as well.

cheap but may have to give up a little on looks
1. lighting shops over at kelantan lane
2. victron (www.viclite.com)

nature aquarium - saw a new set in silver casing quite nice looking. 3x150W should be less than $700 (bulbs included). give Chan a call

petmart - quite a wide range... hundreds to couple of thousand

will also suggest you look into the marine buy/sell sections here cos quite often you see reefers selling their mh sets. just need to change from marine bulbs to something suitable for planted.... although 10000k light will work too.

try here too

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10

http://www.absolutereef.com/forums/i...p?showforum=16

some price reference...

http://www.delightings.com/index.cfm?GPID=16
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
kuple

Just wondering, must it be a MH light?

Will the normal T5 3X39 Watt do the job? I got mine for about $100 at petmart. Buy 3 will just cost $300.

It's seem the plant do pretty well with my new T5 light. mine is 10000 K, some bro recommend 8000K or 6500K, dun reallly know the different, maybe something to do with algae...
Old 27-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuple
Just wondering, must it be a MH light?

Will the normal T5 3X39 Watt do the job? I got mine for about $100 at petmart. Buy 3 will just cost $300.

It's seem the plant do pretty well with my new T5 light. mine is 10000 K, some bro recommend 8000K or 6500K, dun reallly know the different, maybe something to do with algae...
not necessary need mh... depends on plant requirements, tank height .... higher intensity lighting requires good nutrients ... especially co2
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Jenova

Wow! Didn't know requires that much lights and watts to light up a 6ft tank.
I got a spare 6ft tank, I think I can give up the idea of going planted. The monthly recurring cost will kill me.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
cacatuoides

T5 would be good as it produces less heat than MH and does not consume as much electricity as MH too.....

You don't have to worry about drilling the ceiling to hang T5s as it can sit on your tank.....and its much cheaper too

my 2 cts