Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
new_
Dragon

Default Lightning

i am totally new to planted tanks.. there are some questions i would like to ask regarding lightning.. i dun understand some of the short forms used here.. wats PL and FL light bulb. is a normal flourscent light bulb enough for a tank with some java fern and riccia w/o CO2 and soil?? my current 4ft tank lightning consists of 2X3ft 30W light blub.. i dunnno wat type of light bulb it is.. it gives out pinkish light.. it comes as a whole set when i bought the lights....
new_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
richietay

PL is a 4-pin with 1 U-shape tube. This is the type we use in our aquarium lighting because of the availability of higher wattage tubes. PL does not have a starter. normally use it with an electronic ballast or control gear.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
new_
Dragon

then wats FL??? n T5?? i c all these terms in the forum n i dunno wat they mean..thankz for ur help..
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
minyun

FL is those normal light tube, those we use in our home.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
|squee|

FL aka fluorescent tube

PL aka Philips lighting(not sure)

Get rid of the pinkish ones and buy white ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_
is a normal flourscent light bulb enough for a tank with some java fern and riccia w/o CO2 and soil??
Yes, it is enough but it depends... tanks have individual variations. Anyway, Riccia without CO2 won't give you the bubbling effect.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
new_
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |squee|
FL aka fluorescent tube

PL aka Philips lighting(not sure)

Get rid of the pinkish ones and buy white ones.

Yes, it is enough but it depends... tanks have individual variations. Anyway, Riccia without CO2 won't give you the bubbling effect.
thankz alot for clearing my doubts... so i can buy back 2x30W (3ft) white FL bulb for my 4ft tank wif oli riccia and java fern rite... and wat is T5??
Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
|squee|

Yes you can. The Java fern will do ok, but I'm not sure for Riccia since I have not kept that plant before.

T5 is another type of light bulb, but I cannot explain to you because I do not know myself. A search in the forums will yield more results, or just wait for people to reply
Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
richietay

get those daylight FL tubes, color temperature 6500k or so!
next maybe can touch on wpg, watt per gallon, which can determine the amount of lightings to suit either low or high maintainence tank.

Actually FL can be modified to PL, where most people prefer PL, brighter. previously using FL tubes for my 4ft, had it converted!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Jenova

Typically, it is referring to the gas or coating used in the tubes to archieve different light spectrum for different needs.

Fluorescent (Cheapest)
T5 (Better than Fluorescent, but more expensive)
PL (IMHO I think it's better than T5, but consumes more energy and gives out more heat)
Metal Halide (Supposely the best for planted tanks, too expensive and beyond my reach!)

Reference URL:
http://forums.bghydro.com/faq.php?faq=faq_lighting_main
http://www.arcadia-uk.info

Popular brands are Arcadia or Osram. If you want good advice, go to Nature Aquarium to buy your lights.

My 2cts worth of advice
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
new_
Dragon

ok.. thankzz.. may i know where is nature aquarium?? sorry kinda new in this forum...