Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
ostrava

Default T5 or PL Light?

Dear bro, which is a better choice for lighting planted tank, T5 or PL? May i know the reason why? Thanks!
Old 23-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
the_r0ck

I am personally not a fan of PL. FL has a better spread and PL IMHO tends to be a little hotter.

Other than my 1.5 feet tank, I have all of my tanks on FL.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Royston
Dragon

What about in comparasion to T5? I setting a 2ft vivarium so also deciding whether to get T5 or PL.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck
I am personally not a fan of PL. FL has a better spread and PL IMHO tends to be a little hotter.

Other than my 1.5 feet tank, I have all of my tanks on FL.
Thanks for bringing up this issue on the light spreading. Never notice tat till u mention abt it. Den i'll invest in a T5 den.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
armani1234sg
Arofanatic

t5 got gd spread n stuff but really more ex... the tubes alone very ex already, somemore u wanna diy abit more difficult than pl... nowadays, pl lights can be bought cheap n thay last long, its very true the spread not effective but one way is just to add more tubes in a well-spread way...
armani1234sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani1234sg
t5 got gd spread n stuff but really more ex... the tubes alone very ex already, somemore u wanna diy abit more difficult than pl... nowadays, pl lights can be bought cheap n thay last long, its very true the spread not effective but one way is just to add more tubes in a well-spread way...
Dunno is it i newbie to T5 or wat, yesterday go c328 and ask aby HO T5, auntie quote me a jebo T5 4 x 24 watt 2 ft light set at 100 plus bucks with 4 x 24 watt tubes and got another set without the box same model selling at 70 bucks. Ask her is the tube expensive, she say only 7 bucks To me the price very economical lei
Old 23-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
elimmel
Senior Dragon

DIY T5 is the same as PL. nothing much to it.
cost of T5 tubes coming down to PL prices.

but for the premium light tubes (both T5 and PL), it's still pretty expensive.
in the longrun, T5 is cheaper as you need less tubes than PL for the same light intensity as well as T5 spectrum shift is slower (longer lifespan).
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Jenova

I'm also curious about FL, T5 and PL. But more concern on the wattage and light spread. Looks like FL and T5 better in terms of wattage and spread. Heard that there are two types of T5, the high and low density type. Is that true? Some said T5 need to change tube more often and the tube are more expensive.

I'm confused.
Old 23-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenova
I'm also curious about FL, T5 and PL. But more concern on the wattage and light spread. Looks like FL and T5 better in terms of wattage and spread. Heard that there are two types of T5, the high and low density type. Is that true? Some said T5 need to change tube more often and the tube are more expensive.

I'm confused.
Yeah I think u r refering to the high output and normal output T5.. HO a bit ex den NO.
Old 23-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
elimmel
Senior Dragon

when comparing T5 agst PL, use HO. NO tubes might as well get FL.
good T5 tubes last longer than good PL tubes.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote