Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
KaLiB
Moderator
 
KaLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,635
Default HLLE & Activated Carbon

This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found
__________________
A fishtank is just like your computer. When your tank crash(OS crash), its time to cleanup(reformat hard drive) and setup(install OS) again and add new livestock(re-install software).
KaLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
marine_lover
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found
To use or not to use Activated carbon ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
KaLiB
Moderator
 
KaLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,635
Default

Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).
__________________
A fishtank is just like your computer. When your tank crash(OS crash), its time to cleanup(reformat hard drive) and setup(install OS) again and add new livestock(re-install software).
KaLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
marine_lover
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).
Ok noted .
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
reefer88
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found
No all types of carbon will cause HLLE on fish . Using good brand like Rowa, Ehiem is the way to go. I have been running Rowa carbon on my fish only system for about 3 year now and i didnt see any problem with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Sun2000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..
  Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
marine_lover
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun2000 View Post
I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..
it' true !
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
yeo soon chai
Dragon
 
yeo soon chai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found
I've read an article some years back when i was in marine that the Carbon could be one of the cause for HLLE.
Diet deficiency and stray voltage could also one of the cause.
Personally, I found that bigger species of angels and tang are more prone to this disease.
yeo soon chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
KaLiB
Moderator
 
KaLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,635
Default

Just to share an observation regarding HLLE & activated carbon.

I ran AquaPharm BlackGold in my 4x2x2 FOWLR last year, after a period, I observed my flame angel(Centropyge loricula) developing HLLE. Suspecting it might be the carbon, I removed it and have not run any carbon in my tank for the last 3months. The HLLE on my flame angel has more or less fully healed.

The other fish in my tank were not affected:
  1. Bannerfish(Heniochus acuminatus)
  2. Magnificent Foxface(Siganus Magnificus)
  3. Mimic Tang(Acanthurus pyroferus)
  4. Pajama Cardinalfish(Sphaeramia nematoptera)
  5. Zebra Dartfish(Ptereleotris Zebra)
  6. Threadin Cardinalfish (Apogon Leptacanthus)
  7. False Percula Clownfish(Amphiphoron Ocellaris)
__________________
A fishtank is just like your computer. When your tank crash(OS crash), its time to cleanup(reformat hard drive) and setup(install OS) again and add new livestock(re-install software).
KaLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)