Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 23-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Default Alvin Koh's Journal: 90x45x45cm Planted

Hi all,

This is a new journal on my first attempt at starting 3 footer planted. I am hoping to setup a Iwagumi-style tank crossing my fingers to achieve something presentable to the best of my abilities.

I currently have a 3-month old nano tank running.

I had intended to start a 4 footer in June 2009 after aquiring most of the planted equipment I needed, but was shelved at the final moment as the shift to my new place took much longer than expected.

Planning (November 2010)

My plans begun in November 2010. I found a small corner near the main door that would fit a 3 footer. I looked at the equipment I managed to obtain last year and managed to salvage some equipment.

Initial list of salvaged equipment from abandoned project:

1) Chiller: Hailea HC-300A (1/4HP)
2) Filter: Eheim Pro2 2028
3) CO2: 2L Canister + NA External Reactor
4) Fertilizers: Dry Fertilizers + Seachem Products
5) Decorations: 2 pieces of small ADA Kurokinryu (<1kg each)

I ordered my tank + cabinet in late November. The cabinet arrive in great condition and according to specifications - Glossy white ADA style, with fan in/outlets & a hole for chiller. The tank however requires more time due to sudden shortage - thus I am still tank-less at the moment but the tank should be arriving shortly.

It's a blessing because the waiting period gives me lots of time to tinker with the cabinet. I enlarged the rear exhaust hole for the chiller because of fitment issues, painted the rear completely white (previously wood) and did numerous equipment placement configurations and flowrate benchmarks.

----------

Flowrate

To my dismay, the flowrate was extremely low even with an Eheim 1260 Universal Pump (rated @ 2400l/hr). I was getting about 460l/hour due to various restrictive garden hose connectors and elbow joints. To improve flowrate, I settled on rounded 90 deg joints, standardized most of the hoses to 16mm.

I also replaced the volute of the Eheim 1260 to that of the Eheim 1262 (this surposedly brings pump specifications closer to 3400l/hr). Initially, there was a drop in flowrate. I suspect this is due to the higher head pressure that 1260's restrictive volute allows (maybe to prevent backflow). I finally got an increase after removing several garden hose quick connectors. My current flowrate is 650l/hr.

----------

Chiller Placement

As for the chiller, it is a little tricky putting it in the cabinet, especially in such a confined corner. To ensure sufficient airflow and prevent hot-air from recirculation, I placed a series of foam material partitioning the intake/exhaust halves of the rear. A rubber gasket was also cut-out to be fitted at the chiller exhaust hole so that hot air entering from the same hole was greatly reduced. Finally, an additional exhaust fan dispels the air from the left corner.

I ran several benchmark tests and the highest temperature obtained at the chiller inlet vent was ~2 degC higher than pre-startup temperatures which was still reasonable.

----------

My updated equipment list is as follows:

1) Chiller: Teco TR15 - 1/5HP (replaces Hailea HC-300A due to cabinet restriction)
2) Filtration/Pump: 1260 (modified to 1262 specification) + Eheim Pro2 2028 with impeller + cover removed
3) Filtration Media: Mr Aqua Ceremic Rings (Small) + Bio Home
4) CO2: 5L CO2 Tank + Solenoid Regulator + NA CO2 Reactor
5) Fertilization/Dosing: 3-way Peristaltic Dosing Pump
6) Soil: ADA Amazonia II + Lava rock gravel
7) Decoration: About 20 pieces of Kinokinryu rocks

Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Rocks

The search for rocks was a long one spanning a month. I had 2 pieces of rather flat-ish Kurokinryu rocks I bought from a hobbyist which was clearly insufficient.
I made a purchase online for about 12 pieces of Kurokinryu rocks, but most pieces were flat and the largest 3 pieces were of totally different color when wet.

Photo: Rocks when dry (above)

Photo: Rocks when wet (above)

There are 3 groups of rocks as can be seen in the picture above.

Top-left: Dark Greyish rocks with rounded structure - affects pH via vinegar tests. (Source: OTF Farm @ Pasir Ris)

Top-right: Kurokinryu rocks - dark greyish rocks with bluish tones and rough texture. Inert. (Source: Mainland Tropical Farm & Online purchase)

Bottom-left: Unknown rocks with light-grey tones even when wet. Inert.

After consideration, I have decided to use the top-right set of rocks because of the quantity I have (plus 10+ tiny pieces not displayed) and the color tone/texture which I like.
Old 24-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
nostalgia
Arofanatic

looks like a very fun and interesting project! pls update soon!
nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
julian_lim

Quote:
love your nano tank set up.may i know need co2?
like to set up a nano tank too.
thank you in advance

Last edited by Alvin Koh; 09-01-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Image links
Old 27-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian_lim View Post
love your nano tank set up.may i know need co2? like to set up a nano tank too.
thank you in advance
Hi Julian,

I have several low-light requirement plants in my nano (Back: Left-to-Right):

1) Anubias Nana
2) Windelov Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')
3) Java Fern

As well as some with slightly higher light requirements
4) Echinodorus Quadricostatus
5) HC - Hemianthus Callitrichoides (not thriving but recently replaced with a new batch).

I started the tank with solely Flourish Excel dosing for carbon supplement, but recently added CO2 via canister as my new larger tank isn't ready yet.
Once my new tank arrives, it will be back to Excel dosing. I dose according to instructions, which is 0.6-1ml after a major water change & 0.2ml daily for normal days. My nano tank is 8 litres approximately.

Macros/Micros are dosed on alternate days for me.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

nice write up boss!!!

quite wait for your tank to arrive and you to update us with more photos!!
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
nice write up boss!!!

quite wait for your tank to arrive and you to update us with more photos!!
Fireblade, thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, tank is still facing delays.

I am very clueless about scaping to be honest and somewhat expecting my attempts to fail on the first few tries..

BTW, don't mind me asking, how's your UG setup as I remembered you attempting it last year - I'm hoping to use it as a foreground but wonder if I may be too ambitious with no prior experience with UG at all.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

my UG is gone...
initially growing well but other plants grow faster, and they receive lesser lights then all disappeared.. :P
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
redline
Arofanatic

seems like a big project its going on..
waiting for ur update
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
troyz
Arofanatic

hi Alvin...thanks for sharing...can see all equip. inside the cabinet..
very neat....as to grow UG is quite easy...
given them lights,co2 n chill water...they will grow
starting is abit slow...after a while, it spread like wild fire
troyz is offline   Reply With Quote