Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
aloysiusfeng

Default A Very Noob Question about Dymax IQ5

Hi all,

I just bought an IQ5 Dymax and I think I might be having some problems with the tank. The tank has a "background compartment" which contains the filtration chamber on the left, a chamber that contains the pump and a middle chamber that has nothing much there.

However, I set up the tank for the very first time and noticed a few things and wonder whether it's normal or wonder I'm doing something wrong. Due to the lack of post-sales support, I have no choice but to pose such a silly and amateur question here.

Firstly, I notice that the water moves very slowly into the filtration chamber. I wouldn't even use the word 'flow', perhaps 'seep' is a better word. I watched the video on the IQ5 and it seems like there is a piece of plastic to ensure even flow of water into the filtrates but apparently that isn't even necessary (due to slow water seepage)

Next I noticed that the middle chamber is pretty low on water and the last chamber containing the pump is just slightly damp and there's always this noise that sounds like the pump is trying to suck air. Are all these normal? Thanks in advance for any help rendered.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
dkk08
Arofanatic

did u fill the tank with water to the required water level? If u look carefully at the middle compartment, the panel that connects the last chamber(with pump) and the middle compartment has a 1in hole for the water to overflow into the pump chamber...

you can actually adjust the flow of the water by taking out the pump and turning it down to max... hope this helps...
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
marctan9

Supposed to fill to the required water level,the pump gt noise cause not enough water,the pump should b submerged in the water itself.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
marctan9

Those using iq5,do u all top up water or change water?I also noticed my flow of water to the first chamber is very slow.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
aloysiusfeng

Thanks for the very prompt replies. I just added more water and can finally see water flowing properly into the filtration chamber and the noise is gone too. Also, the water is flowing through the 1 inch hole now and the pump is completely submerged at all times.

However I do notice that there are no longer air bubbles coming out visibly from the pump, instead it's just jets of water (felt it with my finger). Is this the desired outcome?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
murinus
Arofanatic

The air bubbles were because it was sucking in air previously. Pumping out water without air should be correct
murinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
ymmij
Senior Dragon

I too have an iq5 and I simply pour water into all the compartments.

Water flows into the filtration area via the openings at the top and one small hole near the bottom of tank.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
marctan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
I too have an iq5 and I simply pour water into all the compartments.

Water flows into the filtration area via the openings at the top and one small hole near the bottom of tank.
No one change the water ah?just top up the compartments?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
JeffL
Arofanatic

I have both IQ5 and IQ3, I think IQ5 has this problem on the last chamber that you water evaporate too fast the water level will drop too low thus causing the pump to take in air. Must be careful of it, because I think if left unattended the pump will overheat.

IQ series filtration is not very good IMO. Tried upgrading to a faster flow pump but it's a challenge to find small pump for the chamber and piping has different sizes.

Try change more water for better water condition since the filtration doesn't really work well.

Make sure top up enough water. You can DIY a auto water top up to prevent water level drying up too much
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctan9 View Post
No one change the water ah?just top up the compartments?
Oh I do water change...
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote