Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #651
enegue
Arofanatic

Regarding the shells, I just cleaned them with soap and a little brush and then boil them in water. After that I soaked them in water for a couple of days before putting them in the tank. So far no problems with my water parameters. To induce fishless cycling, you can also introduce some fish food to the tank and then removing them.

The shellies costs $12 each, and I don't recall seeing others. Don't know if Neolamprologus brichardi counts cause they prefer caves but they do breed in shells as well. I think I'm going to get another pair of multies and hopefully have a trio.

Sorry, I don't know much about dither fishes and have no experience with them. I think Tetras, danios, barbs or mollies may do it although I don't know if they will do well in the hard water.

Last edited by enegue; 06-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #652
Carz

Thanks enegue. You've been very helpful. Looking forward to stocking my tank soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #653
enegue
Arofanatic

No problem bro, just sharing what I know, although i'm no expert, just a newbie too.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #654
enegue
Arofanatic

I went and got myself another pair of multies today. 3 fishes in the same tank and they were fighting all the time.. Now I have 3 fishes each with their own territory in the tank. I think that means I have 3 males right??

Can't believe I've got 3 males of 3 different sizes, big medium and small. Just my luck What am I supposed to do with them?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #655
Carz

Never been to QH but my impression being a farm, they could have regular supply of stocks thus different batches will be at different size so sexing by size will be difficult if they mix them together all the time. Or you could tell like other lfs even if purchased a week apart, one could tell they are from the same stock so sexing by size is not so difficult?

Hopefully, it's just in the beginning when females also fight for territories which I read could happen.

I also read multies makes great colonial fish, even having multiple generation within the same colony. So even with relatively small tanks, perhaps going for a colony of 5 to 6 won't be an issue and will have better chance of gender mix. Wonder if can find pple to trade in marketplace or QH will allow exchange. Maybe can chaim siong exchange 1 or 2 and/or buy 2 to 3 more at same time.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #656
FrontosaGuy

Will this get along with the sand sifters?
My sand sifter is very lonely in the 2 foot tank....

Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #657
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontosaGuy View Post
Will this get along with the sand sifters?
My sand sifter is very lonely in the 2 foot tank....
yes they do (:
Old 16-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #658
Carz

Anyone knows where to buy Thera+A Small Fish Formula 0.5mm? Preferably 75g cos will take a long time to finish for shellies and also to test if they like it first. Otherwise 140g? 275g and above will be too big.

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk/product_...p?p=freshwater

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk/images/D...ectrum10FW.pdf
Old 16-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #659
misery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
Anyone knows where to buy Thera+A Small Fish Formula 0.5mm? Preferably 75g cos will take a long time to finish for shellies and also to test if they like it first. Otherwise 140g? 275g and above will be too big.

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk/product_...p?p=freshwater

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk/images/D...ectrum10FW.pdf

Hi, i was at c328 yesterday night, they have nls thera a.
but i'm not too sure if its 75g or 140g.
maybe you can give them a call first before heading down.
cheers~

Old 16-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #660
Carz

Thanks! Appreciate the headsup. If no one else knows of other place, then I guess I got no choice but make a trip to Clementi even though is kind of far for me.
Closed Thread