Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #641
Carz

Thanks johannes & Young Man, I will cycle w/o carbon.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #642
Carz

enegue, very nice!

Where did you get the multies from? It seems the craze if over for some and lfs don't bring in anymore.

What shells are you using? Are those shells from seashellplace.com? I think I read some shells are too heavy for shellies to move them around so may miss out on some of their interesting behaviour.

I'm still figuring out the best way to cycle my tank and if I should invest in test kit, test pen/meter etc for my one and only small tank. The only reason OC allowed to one is because it's a Fluval Edge that looks nice... well until we get a place of our own. How I wish I can skip the cycling stage... but I know I got to be patient.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #643
enegue
Arofanatic

I got them from QH, posted in buy/sell and a nice bro told me they have it there. They also have similis and brevis. Went to a few LFS and they don't carry them. You're right, the trend seems to be dying down for some reason.

The shells you see from actually escargot shells, happened to go to jack's place and so i just tabao! haha, my shells from seashellplace came too, added a few of them to the tank but the multies have already settled in the escargots. They seem to be trying to bury some of the new shells i added, i can see sand all over them

Have you started cycling your tank? I think with regular dosage of the seachem buffers during WC your water parameters should be more or less good enough. Unless you're trying to DIY with baking soda and epsom salt etc then I think the test kits are not really that critical. Test kits are a good investment though, whatever tank you set up in the future also can use.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #644
desmondekker

here's my L.meleagris

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Music by: Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #645
enegue
Arofanatic

nice video bro. very clear and the male is fierce! I assume you have a trio with a male and 2 females from what i can see?? How big is your setup?

I'm still thinking whether I should get another female, I haven't seen the male multi in 3 days, dunno whether he died in the shell
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #646
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondekker View Post
here's my L.meleagris
Beautiful L.meleagris bro! Off-topic, what camera are you using for this video? Looks superb!

Last edited by washywashy; 02-09-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #647
desmondekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enegue View Post
nice video bro. very clear and the male is fierce! I assume you have a trio with a male and 2 females from what i can see?? How big is your setup?

I'm still thinking whether I should get another female, I haven't seen the male multi in 3 days, dunno whether he died in the shell
hey glad you like the little clip. i had 5 pieces, 2 of them up lorry, a little bit ex to replace. not sure about their sex apart from the alpha.

they're in a 1.5x1x1 tank with a HOF

last time when my gold ocellatus MIA, they spawned! maybe u want to observe closely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Beautiful L.meleagris bro! Off-topic, what camera are you using for this video? Looks superb!
glad u like it bro

i was using 500D with 100mm f2.8 macro lens. i think the magic lies in the tripod. i was using the manfrotto 128RC fluid head.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #648
enegue
Arofanatic

Okay bro, I'll just be patient and observe. I don't think shellies will die in their shells right? Any ways to make him come out? haha, so sian buy 2 fishes only see 1 around.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #649
enegue
Arofanatic

Haven't seen one of my multi in almost a week and I got worried. Tried to get it out of the shell and I noticed flesh/fin like stuffs coming out from the shell. Took the shell out and there was a foul smell, turns out it died inside

Did it got stuck or something? cause it was the largest escargot shell and it had no problem getting in and out before. Anyone knows what happened The other multi is doing fine, always digging around and eating well as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #650
Carz

enegue, other than multies, similis and brevis, any other shellies in QH? Can you remember how much each species cost?

How did you clean the escargot shell? Was it difficult getting rid of the oil and smell? Given a choice, I rather get them empty but if really no choice, I may get them frozen and just dig out the meat as I don't eat them and also should be easier to clean without extra from cooking.

A lfs gave me a sample bottle of Waterlife Bacterlife and told me is for fishless cycle. I was about to use it till I read it's meant to be used after using Waterlife Biomature. Some say Bacterlife is snake oil. So that put me on hold for awhile till I decide how I want to cycle my tank. I read some pple pee in their tank to introduce ammonia for fishless cycle! I'm now leaning back towards using fish that I can retain as dither fish to cycle as my original plan is to have dither fish to keep the shellies alert.

Even though I read Seachem pH and Ammonia Alert are not accurate, I thought they can at least serve as a rough gauge when I cycle with Waterlife Bacterlife and prepare the tank with Seachem Tanganyika Buffer and Cichlid Lake Salt so I won't need to get test kits/pen/meter. However, the tap water I put in with Dennerle Sulawesi Black Nano Shrimps Gravel Bed already showing 7.8 to 8.0pH on the alert. I don't think is caused by the gravel 'cos it's suppose to be inert but rather the tap water is already in this range. Not sure if I simply adjust the dosage instruction of the buffer and salts indicated in the bottle probably for 7.0pH baseline to my tank size will be appropriate.

If I can introduce dither fish that can take hard water, then I suppose I can use them as a gauge that the water is alright? Will this be the fastest way to cycle the tank w/o having to test the water?

Anyone knows what dither fish is dwarf, mid water fast swimmer (faster than shellies to escape) and won't harm shellies? If can double up as clean up crew, then it'll be a bonus. Maybe some snails can also be used but I got no idea what snails can take hard water too.

Otherwise, I may get Dymax pH Meter for the looks that matches my tank, gH, kH, ammonia test kit after all and measure the vitals while fishless cycling with my pee ok just kidding... just gotta get hold of sometime that confirm works fast for fishless cycle.

There are still some other Fluval Edge accessories to order online so I still got some time to burn.
Closed Thread